Introductions!

Starting a thread where folks can introduce themselves and say what their classroom is working on or interested in studying. This thread was created for the teachers who recieved kits through the Paul Allen Foundation pilot program, but other educators are welcome to contribute and get involved!

Hello OpenROV community,

I teach Biology and Environmental Science at Oakland High School, an inner city public high school. We were excited to receive tools and supplies from Amazon today as part of the Paul Allen Family Foundation program. My students have started building our ROV. They are excited about learning skills such as soldering and wiring. They are thinking up ideas for what their ROV could look for in our local urban lake.

Gluing together the inner structure seems to have gone well. We are planning a building session for Monday afternoon.

I am a home school advisor at a small Charter School in Wasilla, Alaska. I enjoy teaching robotics and look forward to building the OpenROV with our students. I offered an evening session from 6:00 to 7:30 on Thursdays, and had 7 students sign up. Once we finish building the ROV, I look forward to inviting students of all ages as well as their parents to pilot it at a local pool. Eventually, I would like to bring it to the Seward Sea Life center!

You can follow our progress at: http://sites.google.com/site/mbbackus/robotics/openrov

In addition to building the OpenROV, we are learning how to use the BeagleBone Black. We have one for every student, so this gives everybody something to do all the time (I was a little worried about coordinating 7 students working on one ROV at the same time). It has also given us something to do until the 2.6 instruction set comes out. I have developed a homemade breadboard cape that's inexpensive and allows students to plug in a ton of electronics. For info on how we are using the BeagleBone Black as well as a parts list and some pictures of the homemade breadboard, go to: http://sites.google.com/site/mbbackus/robotics/beagleboneblack

Hello Everyone,

I teach chemistry and nutrition at Coopersville High School in Michigan (Near Grand Rapids). This is my second year teaching at Coopersville, and when I came here I started a high school STEM club. We meet about once a week and do a wide variety of activities. We are not funded by the school. This means that we rely a lot on donorschoose.org and other grants. Our group has already grown to about 20 regular attendees and many others who show up occasionally.

Last year we has a group from the U.S.S. Silversides Naval Museum come and talk to the students about underwater ROV's. The students were so inspired that they decided they wanted to challenge themselves to build an ROV that could make it to the bottom of Lake Michigan. They were working on that, but it was going very slowly because of the lack of funding.

That same group of students is going to build the OpenROV and then adapt the ideas to build a vehicle capable of going deeper.

We are all very excited about this opportunity!!!

Hello OpenROV Community

This year I teach two levels of chemistry and 7th grade science at Oscoda High School. I love my profession. It is rewarding to see students become excited in the sciences. Our students this year were introduced to ROV's through a day-long workshop. This workshop was in collaboration with our local community college that offers a Marine Technology program and Dr. Gleason through Grand Valley State University. I am excited to bring new opportunities to our students by connecting our local community members to work alongside and with our students.

Our current plans are to investigate a vernal pond that is close to our school that we have been monitoring water quality on. We also will be investigating changes in a pier that was just placed in our local community. We live close to the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary. This spring I am hoping that the students will have an opportunity to use the OpenROV on some of the shipwrecks in the area.

The class is excited to build the ROV. I am excited to see what testable questions the students will ask that they can design an experiment around using this new platform for investigations.

Greetings OpenROV community,

I am the Science Subject Area Leader at Brooks DeBartolo Collegiate High School (BDCHS). Our school is a City Charter High School in Tampa, Florida. I teach Biology 1 Honors, Anatomy and Physiology Honors and Marine Science Honors. Further, We have three students in an internship program in marine robotics and a science and technology club that has been participating in Florida First Technologies (i.e. participants in the the competition for one year,) AWWA Water Model WaterTower, and MATE ROV Challenges the past three years. We have a number of functional ROV’s but we were excited at the prospects of acquiring a novel ROV linked to a community of like minded underwater researchers.

Prior to teaching in Tampa, I worked for 20 years in conservation biology primarily in the area of Central America. I participated as a delegate to the United Nations Environmental Program’s Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Convention on Biological Diversity(CBD). I focused on Marine Protected Areas, sustainable use of natural resources, stake holder management of local resources, the American crocodile, turtles, sea grass ecosystems and other such topics.

This background and experience is a starting point for my classes. Much of our focus is on researching aquatic ecosystems and organisms, developing ideas on sustainable marine resource management, monitoring marine resources, and formulating strategies for solving problems that arise. Our students are motivated and accomplished in many facets of robotics and remotely operated vehicles. They plan on first applying the OpenROV in to local projects. First, they want to test the ROV’s functionality in monitoring Plecostomus sp. populations in the Hillsborough River and By Pass Canal.

Secondly, they which to determine if this device is useful in sea grass monitoring.

We would like to start a ROV program with High Schools along the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System(MBRS), starting with contacts in Belize and possibly the Bay Islands of Honduras. We will begin this project this year and continue into the future.

Our students are excited about this new ROV and are determined to put it to good use. With our support the sky’s the limit or maybe the depth’s. I am sure our students will grow tremendously from this ROV opportunity.

Hello Everyone!

I’m a physics professor at Northwestern and an astronomer at the Adler Planetarium. I dabbled in ROVs about a decade ago when I was a postdoc, working from a copy of Bohm and Jensen’s “Build Your Own Underwater Robot.” I’ve been sitting on my OpenROV kit (v2.5, #599) for about 18 months or so, waiting to sort out my hobby space in my apartment, but I have it under control and am finally getting started, so I’ll be ready when spring arrives here on the shores of Lake Michigan.

I haven’t sorted out how to document my build online, but I will soon. For the moment, I’m tweeting progress reports; you can find me on twitter (@sciencejedi) or look for the hashtag #openrov599.

Looking forward to sifting through the forums and seeing what everyone is up to!