Instructions: Burning SD card image on windows

---------Applying the image to your micro SD card-----------------
Step 1: Download the zipped file from our releases folder https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-rov-suite/releases
Step 2: (For windows) Download SDFormatter and Win32DiskImager to your computer
Step 3: Format a microSD card using SDFormatter. "Quick Format" will work fine
Step 4: Unzip the file you've downloaded (ex: OpenROV-2.5.1-95.img.7z)
Step 5: Run Win32DiskImager and select the image file (ending in *.img) you just unzipped. Make sure that the drive you select under "Device" is the SD card you've inserted.
Step 6: Write the image file to your formatted SD card by pressing the "Write" button in Win32DiskImager. This process will take around 5 or 10 minuets.
Step 7: Once the image has been successfully applied to the microSD card, eject the card and put in in your BeagleBone.

---------Applying the image to the flash memory on Beagle Bone Black -----------------
Step 1: Download the zipped file (ex: OpenROV-flash-2.5.1-36.img.7z)
Step 2: (For windows) Download SDFormatter and Win32DiskImager to your computer
Step 3: Format a microSD card using SDFormatter. "Quick Format" will work fine
Step 4: Unzip the file you've downloaded (OpenROV-flash-2.5.1-36.img.7z)
Step 5: Run Win32DiskImager and select the image file (ending in *.img) you just unzipped. Make sure that the drive you select under "Device" is the SD card you've inserted.
Step 6: Write the image file to your formatted SD card by pressing the "Write" button in Win32DiskImager. This process will take around 5 or 10 minuets.
Step 7: Once the image has been successfully applied to the microSD card, eject the card and put in in your BeagleBone.
Step 8: Boot the beaglebone, it will take about 14 minutes to complete. When all of the 4 blue LEDs on the beaglebone are solidly on, that indicates the process is complete.
Step 9: Power off the beaglebone, remove the SD card, power back on and enjoy.

----------------------------Connecting to the ROV--------------------------
Step 8: Turn your ROV on and allow about 60 seconds for it to boot.
Step 9: Make sure your computer's LAN port is set to a static IP address that looks like "192.168.254.x" where "x" is any value less then 254 and not 1
Step 10: Plug your ROV into your computer, open Google Chrome, and go to the following address: 192.168.254.1:8080
Step 11: OpenROV Cockpit should come up after several seconds (it may take a moment for the video to appear). Because the Controller Board has not yet been programmed you will not be able to control the lights or motors, and you won't see any valid telemetry.

------------------------Programming the OpenROV Controller Board---------------
Step 12: In Cockpit, press the "Settings" button in the upper right-hand side of the screen, and press "Upload firmware from SD card to Arduino"
Step 13: A window called "Upload Arduino Firmware" will pop up. Press the blue "Apply New Firmware" button in the lower right side of the window. This will upload the Arduino Code necessary for the Controller board to work.
Step 14: Once the Arduino Firmware has been uploaded (the window will stay open, but the green progress bar will have made it all the way to the right) you can close the window.

Step 15: Restart the ROV
Step 16: Once the ROV has restarted, verify that you can read telemetry data, control the lights, and control the thrusters. You may need to program and calibrate the thrusters before they respond properly to commands.
Step 17: Let us know how it works out!

Update BeagleBone from 2.5 to 2.5.1
Troubleshooting my 2.6/2.7

I am confused. In the first case you describe does the BBB continue to run on the SD card memory? Do you have to load the OpenROV-flash-2.5.1-36.img.7z image to get it to write to the flash so you can remove the SD card?

Which is the preferred way to run?

Yep

Up to you. I recommend burning a stable version to the eeprom (flash) on the beaglebone, and then running off the SD card with that stable version or with subsequent updates. If your out in the field and for some reason the filesystem on the image crashes, you can simply pull the SD card out and keep going. Simple software redundancy in the field :v:

Brian,

Are you saying the Beaglebone will default to run off of the SD card if present and otherwise (if no SD Card installed) will run from the flash?

This all happens automatically (no button presses on boot up)?

~ Charles

Yes. The buttons were disabled in the beaglebone a long time back and are not used to indicate boot location. If an SD card is inserted and Bootable it will use it.

We have 2 versions of SD card images available. One is labeled flash as it will run and reprogram the on board flash memory on the beaglebone. The other image is made for running day to day in the beaglebone.

I moved a post to a new topic: Trouble connecting to cockpit after software update

I have a few questions:

1. When the instructions say “Boot the Beaglebone”, can I just plug in the ROV or do I have to power the Beaglebone up separately?

2. Can I put both files (Flash & Image) on the same microSD card, flash the Beaglebone and then just leave the card in to run off the image?

Sorry if these questions are basic stuff, I’m pretty basic!

russ…

Yes you can.

In that case, go ahead and get the standard image, not the flash one. There is a command you can run from the standard image that will update the eeprom (flash) on the beaglebone if you want to.

I moved a post to a new topic: What is the proper way to shut down an OpenROV?

Just went through the whole process in the field thanks to a corrupted image (my fault). Everything worked perfectly. Thanks!

Here is a link to the step by step guide to flash a new software image onto the BeagleBone Black.

When i put in the sd card in BBB and waiting 15 minutes, the 4 blue leds not going to be solids. i had repeated th process 2 times more, and then neither going to solid. They are on but not completely solid.