IMU sensor on new ROV

Hey there,

I am building a new 2.8 and I want to attach the IMU sensor right from the start. I have not cut the grey cables from the db 25 connector yet. Is it possible to measure the correct distance, and then directly solder those to the sensor, and then following the rest of the guide (epoxy etc.)?

Thanks a lot for any help

Lukas

I suspect you can do this, but I would not. One of the trickiest parts is to pour in the epoxy to just the right level and to make sure it goes all around the wires. That may be hard if the wires are attached to the ROV. You want plenty of room and good light to see what you are doing. Will the wires be long enough to put the IMU on a flat surface where it can cure for 24 hours?

It’s not hard to join the wires once it is fully built.

Just my opinion.

Chris

Thank you Chris for your advice! That was very helpful, i knew i would miss something. The wires are still pretty long, and i do have a fast curing epoxy, so i might give it try, i will report the result :smile:

EDIT: One more thing, on the 2.8 version near the IMU there are some holes in the acrylic structure that clearly look like they are meant for zip ties. I think they are used for the four wires of the IMU. Is this correct?

@Fe3C while it is possible to do this, it is hard to get the wire lengths exactly correct and makes the potting difficult as @chrisethompson pointed out. The length of the IMU wires is just right to connect with the 4 wires on the ROV. I would recommend doing them separately.

Yes that is exactly what they are for :smile:

Finally, i tried my idea … and i have to admit that it was pretty messy and that it is easier, when the wires are free. But i think it looks fine, and no epoxy spilled on the sensor. I hope the testing will confirm this. It is fair to conclude that it is easiest to follow the built guide’s suggestion. :slight_smile:

HI,

it was very helpful to heat the epoxy a little with my heathgun.
This way the epoxy flows nicely into the cavities and small air enclosures disappear.

Roel