IMU error with 2.5.1-101 version

Installed the 2.5.1-101 software version without any issue and updated the Arduino on the ROV.

Now the compass/tilt etc is not working, the depth sensor is working fine. Everything worked with the 2.5.1-34 software.

Getting the following error message:

log Failed to init on both addresses

mpu_unit failed with code -1

mpu_unit failed with code -2

mpu_unit failed with code -3

What can be wrong?

Thanks

Hey Kjetil,

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried a complete power cycle of the ROV?

-Brian

Yes, several times with same result. Have also tried the calibrate compass button ( that helped with the very old version).

That is odd. The error message says the init failed on the IMU. All bets are off if that does not work. I'm not sure what is happening. Based on your comments, you had problems that the calibrate button seemed to fix right? Do you recall the symptoms of the problem that happened in the past?

If you have the older 2.5.1-34 image that you were using, It would help to know if going back to the old version seems to stabilize things.

Did you happen to do any wiring work on the ROV around the same time that you did the software upgrade?

With an earlier version than the 34. I had issues that the compass was not working as now. Then I just clicked the calibrate compass button and then it worked again.

I have put in the other Beaglebone (with the 34 sofware version) and the compass work.

When I restart the ROV, then its not working, error message on the right hand side: Same issue when I restart it several times. Not able to get the compass back with the 34 version. Have also tried to disconnect the batteries to see if that helps.

Have tried to press the calibrate compass button and updated the Arduino again.

I did not do any wiring work when changing the software except changing the beaglebone.

Thanks, good follow up.

One part was confusing to me. You mentioned that you used a 2nd beaglebone that had the 34 version of the image and it worked again, but then later on way that you were not able to get the compass back with the 34 version.

Does that mean that the compass would work when the ROV first started, but that it would lock up and that you could no longer get it to work again without power on and off the ROV?

This is helping isolate the issue!

-Brian

I understand that this is confusing. I do have two beaglebone black. One with OpenROV software version 34 and one with 101.

Sequence of event:

1. Started rov with beaglebone #1 v34 this have been working with compass for as long that I can remenber with this version.

2. Uploaded version 101 to Beaglebone #2 and tranfered this from sd card to beaglebone. Installed in rov and uploaded the arduino code to rov. Compass not working. Restarted several times with same result.

3. Change back to beaglebone #1 v34. Compass working. Disconnected usb power, and connected again. Compass not working. Tried several timed to connect and disconnedt usb power, compass still not working. Also tried to disconnect batteries with same result.

Is there anyway I can connect the compass to an arduino board to check the function of the compass. I do have a breakout cable for the DB25 cable and several types of arduino boards available (Mega 2560, Nano, Uno and Duemilanove)

Disconnected the IMU/compass/depth module. And the depth and temperature is 0. This show that the I2C is working when its connected.

As long as I get depth and temperature reading when its connected I should get the compass as well since both of them is working on the I2C?

Can not see any damage to the compass.

Marked SMT 069368-0131 on the back

You can run the IMU from a separate arduino, but you will need a level shifter between the IMU and the Arduino to convert the Arduino 5V signals to the IMU 3.3V signals.

The IMU has two I2c components on it, the depth/temp and the MPU-9150. The problem appears to be with the MPU9150 only, so the rest of the i2c bus is probably working fine.

Thanks for you clarification on what you are seeing on the startup. One more question however, so if I understand correctly, the only time it is working correctly for you in on the initial boot-up with beaglebone #1 running version 34, that after powering on/off the system after that initial boot that the IMU would not respond.

Brian, that is correct.

Brian, I have seen through some video from previous dives. Seems two have been problems with the compass all the time.

Have edit some of the dives to a video.

Link to video

There must be something wrong with the IMU?

Brian, I have seen through some video from previous dives. Seems two have been problems with the compass all the time.

Have edit some of the dives to a video.

Link to video

There must be something wrong with the IMU?

Kjentil,

You may want to follow this thread:

Anyone know if changing to the “new” (the one that is sold in the Openrov store) will solve the issue?

I have not used the ROV since, and planning to start up again.

The follow up is really wonderful as sometime it dont allow us to perform any of the actions but now it works really well.