I might be going crazy... or I just need help!

propulsion

I’m currently putting together Drive system on a kayak using some ROV I had bought. Even though I didn’t need any more thrusters while I was scanning eBay for a couple ECS I came across a listing where a gentleman at purchase something, apparently from China, and they sent the wrong item and told him to keep it and it was a underwater thruster. Long story short he was selling it $15 so I bought it. It appears to be a blue robotics T100. The power cable has a pre-installed waterproof, what I’m assuming ESC, but here’s the freaking kicker. There’s only three wires coming off of that pre-installed ESC a red and black and yellow. And this is what has me scratching my head, how do you power the motor with something higher than 5 volts and control it with only three wires?? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
It came with no directions no paperwork and no name really some Chinese writing which I couldn’t figure out, but it looks almost identical to a blue robotics but checking their website they have no documentation on a 3 wired pre-installed ESC thruster

0 Likes

@saylor_excavating,

It probably is the Blue ESC version of the T100 Thruster that they have discontinued.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

0 Likes

Hi,

If it has an ESC installed already my guess would be Red = +Ve Supply, Black = Ground, Yellow = PWM.
Can you post a photo of the waterproof ESC??

It might also be the 3 wires connect straight to the brushless motor. I would need more info or photo’s to be able to tell what’s going on.

Cheers,
Brendan

1 Like

@Brendan,

The ESC electronics are built into the bullet nose of the Thruster. It is potted in the bullet nose with waterproof epoxy!

After looking at your Thruster picture again, it appears that there is no smaller control wire for the PWM signal as can be seen in the BR Blue ESC Thruster pictures. Therefore I am mistaken and you probably have a Chinese knock off of a BR T100 Thruster where the three wires attach to the output of a Brushless ESC.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

I guess I just never realized they made ESC that can be controlled with a single wire but it sure excites me if that’s the case. I’ll wait until you have seen the picture before I attempt it LMAO I appreciate everybody’s response!

0 Likes

It’s definitely a Chinese knockoff because the guy shipped it in the original package and it was Chinese writing on the outside of the box without any instructions or anything resembling English LOL so you think it could just be hooked up to any pulse-width modulator?

0 Likes

I was in the Navy, did four years got out as an AE2 out of Jax you might know my uncle… avcm troy saylor

0 Likes

Brendan I posted the picture what I believe is an ESC attached from the factory but I didn’t realize I could reply right under your response, therefore wasn’t sure if you would get a notification and I replied

0 Likes