How to get the best and easiest video recordings from the ROV?

Hi

Everyone.

I'm to day using VLC to record video from the ROV, but I feel the resolution could have been better.

Is it possible? if so, how?

There should have been a record button for the screen and or only the webcam-video in the cockpit.

-Tom-Vidar

NORWAY

Hello,

We have been using a plugin for Google Chrome called Screencastify with great results. The free version of the software does limit each video length to only be 10 minutes though.

Hope this helps

-Brian G.

Hi Tom-Vidar.

I use VLC for recording the separate video feed from the ROV.
(Tutorial on how to set up VLC recording from stream can be found here: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/vlc-streaming.html)
The separate video feed is found here: http://192.168.254.1:8090/?action=stream.

My problem isn't the quality in VLC, it's the FPS from the ROV.
I rarely get more than 1.7 in framerate from the ROV.

I'm afraid it's my computer that is the problem, how is your framerate?

Peter

Hi again Tom-Vidar.

After having viewed your video, https://vimeo.com/112698731 I suspect your cameras focus is slightly off... You get crystal clear image on the tip of the battery tubes, but it seams "grainy" off in a distance.

Try turning the ring on the camera a bit either way and see if you get a better image that way.
We had the same problem when building the 2.7, because we have to dismantle the "lenscover" and it makes the camera loose focus.

A standard webcam might have a standard focal distance of 50-75cm...

Peter

Hello,

The focusing instructions can be found in step 98 of the v2.6 build instructions.

-Brian G.

An additional question about video recording. I just tried Screencastify and it did record the on screen video. However, when I was recording video I lost all functionality of the control keys to the ROV. No motor, light, camera tilt, laser, etc… control. Once recording stopped, then control returned. Am I doing something wrong?

After you click the record button did you then click on the video in cockpit. The cockpit needs to be the frame in focus in order for control to be enabled.

When you were recording did Screencastify record anything at all?

— Opprinnelig melding —

Fra: “Brian_Grau” noreply@openrov.com
Sendt: 18. februar 2015 20.14
Til: tomsalangli@hotmail.com
Emne: [OpenROV Forums] [Builder’s and Owners Forum] How to get the best and easiest video recordings from the ROV?

After you click the record button did you then click on the video in cockpit. The cockpit needs to be the frame in focus in order for control to be enabled.

When you were recording did Screencastify record anything at all?

Posted by Brian_Grau on 02/18/2015

Hi Brian

I haven’t tested it out yet.
I will do it shortly…

Hi Brian,
I see that you have been replying to video questions.
Wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

I have downloaded the VLC media software and have been able to record and playback videos.
However, I have not been able to record audio.
The video camera that I use is the one used by OPENROV and has a microphone on either side of the camera lens.
On some OPENROV videos I have head the motors being switched on and off and the “klunk” when the ROV hits something.
Is there any thing special I should be doing with either the ROV or VLC software to be able to record sound?

regards
Shaughan

Depending on the videos that you are watching people will stop a GoPro onto the OpenROV and use that to record the video as well as the audio.

I would like to point you to this forum post about streaming the audio.

On 26/04/2015 10:08 PM, Brian_Grau wrote:

Im a newbie and I’ve been interested in this OpenROV adventure. As a Quadcopter guy, Im wondering why OpenROV doesn’t take a few pages out of their book? No need to reinvent the wheel lol
With the Quads we use a low res camera for quicker images (less latency) so you can operate your craft with immediate response. For Hi Res video you them have Sooooo many options of choosing a Video camera to suite your budget & resolution quality requirements. GoPro or Mobius Mibius camera just a couple of the more common units?
Q. Is there any reason we are trying to get high HD just to operate the ROV?