How I develop directly on the beaglebone

I’ve got this question a couple times so I’m documenting the technique for all:

I do a lot of development directly on the ROV. Over time we hope to make it super easy, but for now there are still a couple of steps to make it work.

Step1: Power

If you run on a set of the batteries with everything else turned off, you can code a 6+ hours off of a full charge. You can increase that by turning off power to the ESCs which is currently the ‘’ key command in the OpenROV cockpit.

When I am doing node development, I will pull the BBB off of the ROV and power it off of USB from my laptop. It is small and portable, easy to take to a cafe :smile:

If your really dedicated, I have an electronics only package which is sold in the OpenROV store that has a controllerboard + beaglebone. If others want I can document how I prepped that for development, along with a case the @Brian_Grau put together for me.

Step #2: Development Image

I download the latest image on to a 4GB SD card and use that for development. It is portable and I can always get the ROV ready for a dive with the stable code by putting in a different card. As of this post I was using the latest beta from BETA for OpenROV Image 30.0.0.

Step #3: Internet

There is actually an clever browser as proxy solution we use to give the ROV access to the Internet when plugged in to your computer without having to do any software setup. Unfortunately there are a couple things that still need to be fixed before it works seamlessly for development:

I currently manually execute a work around as recorded in https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software/issues/389 to setup the proxies correctly. This only needs to be done once and then the images needs to be restarted:

sed -i 's|https://localhost:3000|http://localhost:3000|g' /opt/openrov/proxy/openrov-proxy.service

I also set a current date per https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software/issues/390, which will hopefully get automated at some point. This is needed when downloading software via SSL or validating signatures. This has to be done everytime the system is power cycled.

date -s yyyy/mm/dd

To enable Internet access just open up the dashboard http://192.168.254.1, is will transparently establish the bridge.

Step #4 Prep Image for development

Set the github username and email options

sudo git config --global user.email "your_email@example.com"
sudo git config --global user.name "Billy Everyteen"

Pick the code I want to work on and attach the github instance.

cd /opt/openrov/arduino
sudo git remote add myrepo https://github.com/<gitusername>/openrov-software-arduino.git
sudo git update
sudo git fetch
sudo git checkout -b <nameofbranchlocally> myrepo/<nameofbranchonremote>

Change the permissions to make everything writeable. Eventually we will check this in. Replace arduino with the project you are working on.

sudo chmod -R 777 /opt/openrov/arduno 

Mount the ROV drive remotely. You can of course enable the samba service

sudo /etc/init.d/samba start

but I prefer mounting using sshfs (osx/linux) this is done from the laptop

mkdir /Volumes/rov
sshfs -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no rov@192.168.254.1:/ /Volumes/rov

Open up an editor to make changes. I prefer atom by github. This is done from the laptop

atom /Volumes/rov/opt/openrov/arduino

Workflow

I usually have the atom editor open on one side of my laptop and the ssh session on the ROV on the other. As I make code changes I will restart the dependent services as needed or reload firmware which I will then get immediate feedback on.
I can use git commit to save everything locally and then use git push to send it up to my repository where I can later create a Pull Request for the team to pull in to the official OpenROV repositories.

Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck!
Other useful commands:

Hi Brian,

I am having a little trouble connecting to the internet… I folllowed the steps you outlined above. Is there another way to connect to the internet on the beaglebone?

Best
Vai

I suspect that perhaps I need to update the one of our servers, but in the meantime, you can do the following

turn on internet sharing on your laptop that is connected to the ROV.
find the address of the rov
ssh in to the rob
sudo /etc/init.d/openrov-proxy stop
exit the ssh session and come back in again

I’ll work on making sure the server for the proxy is update tongiht.

I followed these steps, but I am still not able to connect to the internet on the rov.

What do you mean about finding the address?

Typically when you turn on connection sharing on your laptop, it will assign a DHCP address to the ROV. The address 192.168.254.1 won’t work anymore. You have to find the DHCP address assigned to the ROV. With OS/X there is a tool called Angry IP Scanner you can use.

However, if you use the latest development image I posted last night, it include mDNS support, so the ROV will respond to openrov.local as the address and you won’t have to look it up.

If all of this is too difficult, you can also plug your ROVs topside adapter in to your home router so that your router assigns the IP address. You can usually login to the route to find the address that was assigned. You then pick up in the step to ssh in to the rob to disable the proxy.

I have network sharing on, but I am still able to connect via the address 192.168.254.1.

Also, if I connect the Beaglebone board directly to my router, it does not request an IP address - I am still able to connect to it via 192.168.254.1. Is this a problem?

Hard to tell. When you connect with network sharing on execute the following command:
ifconfig and post back the results. Were looking to see if interface eth0 pulled a valid IP address. If so, we can keep going.

I think you can also simply try to ping google from the rov. If the PING works then you have internet access, and we just need to disable the proxy.

Pinging google did not work.

Here are the results of ifconfig:

Just confirming that the proxy service on our servers is upgraded and I confirmed it is working with the latest proxy code for our repository.