Homeplug adapter

Hi there,

I’m going to be supplying my openrov power via an umbilical/tether to an onboard DC/DC power supply.

Is it possible to use the homeplug adapter over a 150vdc supply?

Best regards,

Phil

Hey Phil,

I would very strongly advice against using those kind of voltages in water for safety reasons. While the electronics in the Homeplug adapter may be able to handle it (the Medialink EA200 is rated up to 240VAC), running that through water could be very dangerous.

In our experience, the ROV nominally consumes around 40W. Perhaps you could try building your system with a lower voltage?

Good luck and be safe!

Eric

Hi Eric,

Crikey, that is a very reasonable amount of power consumption. I'm merely looking at extending the workable time of the ROV, however given the consumption figures I'm more inclined to fit additional on board batteries. They'd probably fit quite nicely onto the payload bays?

All the best,

Phil

I think adding auxiliary batteries in the payload bay is absolutely a viable option! Even with the standard battery set, dive times of 2-3 hours are completely reasonable, and it would be easy to double or tipple that with the amount of volume still available in the payload bay.

We've also been talking about a design for trickle charging the batteries down the tether to keep them "topped off" but we've been way to busy with other development to turn that into fruition. If you come up with a good design, let us know!

Eric

Hi Eric,

Please see attached a spec for a LI-PO battery pack, this would fit quite nicely inside of an otterbox 3500 case.

http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-packs/12v-10ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

As a concept, it’s quite an increase in battery capacity.

All the best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

pls keep me up to date with that nicly "fuel" tank. (check the open rov facebook page you found me there)

With the max peak current of 20A i have sub sea connectors which handle up to 24A each an they are pressure proof to 100m. Costs about 26€ per piece. If the rov operate with this pack without problems, it´s possible to exchange the potted pass trough to 4 tiny sockets. Eaven the problem of water passing trough the isolation is solved.

all the best

Stefan (lagner)

Hi Stefan,

Could you send me a web link for the subsea fittings you’re using?

Best regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

http://shop.dev-pein.de/Selbstbau/Wasserdichte-Steckverbindungen/Rundkabel-KSS-S.html

sorry but this is only german. If you need some translation just give me a message.

All the best

Stefan