Hello. OpenROV Mechatronics Engineering Intern + Trident's External Payload

Hey, great thread.

I’ve been using the 8266 with the same goal in mind, but running Micropython instead. (Don’t know how i didnt see this thread already)
The main reasons I went for micropython and thought others might be inrerrested:

• WebREPL is really handy when tinkering. You can add to your program and call functions on the fly.
  • You can connect the 8266 to your AP and have the 8266 act as AP simultaneously. Makes it possible to troubleshoot and send code updates when everything is sealed up.

Keep up the good work. looking forward to seeing how this all develops

Hi,
Just checking in on how your project with the 8266 and Micropython is going for a Trident WiFi payload.

Haven’t seen anything from Rey (rey-reza) lately and was wondering if he’s still working on the payloads or has someone else taken over.

Have you seen any example code or tutorial for the payload plugins?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi @webhoppery

So my intern finished in December and I am actually in school right now :slight_smile:

I actually didnt use micropython for the ESP8266. There’s an arduino core for ESP8266 which I think is convenient to use: https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

for the plugin, the idea is to send HTTP request from the cockpit to the ESP8266, then do some string parsing if you have several different plugins (perhaps external lights, etc.) The code is not released yet though

I hope it helps!

Cheers,
Rey

Hi,
Just checking in on how your project with the 8266 and Micropython is going for a Trident WiFi payload.

I was looking for a Trident payload plugin example / template to use as a starting point.

Thanks,
Bill

Hey,
wow 5 months already.
Time flies when you start something and get distracted somewhere else.

I didn’t take it very far amd won’t be much help with a plugin template up
at the UI either.

Good luck though.

Hello!
That is such a great idea! I’m excited to see future projects based on this!

I was wondering if someone could help a newbie out with a doubt on this subject:

-Is it feasible to develop a wifi payload for the 2-series? I’m guessing it is not, since it doesn’t have wifi interface, but since I don’t know much about this subject, I’m not very confident of my guess.

Any news about payload?
Looking in to using an ESP8266, 7,4v LIPO batteries and a mini servo to control a manipulator. Given that the trident will be easy to setup for comunication with the ESP8266.

Hi Lars, are you using the NodeMCU board?

Hi @felipeadachi so sorry for the late reply!

i guess you can if you can somehow add a wifi dongle to your beaglebone, but i am not sure how it will affect the other stuffs though.

Hi @lars.morten.nesse, my internship at OpenROV finished in December 2016, but I would love to help! I do not know about the current state of the project since its already been a year, but let me know if you have any specific questions about using ESP8266 :slight_smile:

Hei
Havent bought any yet, away for work till march.
Have been looking inn to the nodemcu, for possibility to have expansions,
but for first project wich will be a manipulator esp01 should be good?!

Hi Lars,

I think the nodemcu is a nice little board, but I haven’t explored it fully as of yet. However, the next few months I will be diving into it, as it were. Let’s keep this thread moving.