Having problems with the vertical motor, camera and connectivity

I bought the Open ROV kit and followed the instructions. I am now almost ready to test in the water but I am constantly having connectivity issues. Sometimes the rov connects to my laptop and sometimes it doesn't. I think it might be a wiring issue but I am unsure.

Also the camera used to connect but lately (when the rov does connect) I am also having trouble seeing the video feed. The servo, light, forward, right and left buttons work. The backwards is not working either. I don't know how to find and solve the problem, can anyone help? How do I calibrate it? And troubleshoot? Does the fact that I'm using Windows 8 mean anything? I work with people who make land based robots and I know that for them, Windows 8 does not work.

The good news is that Windows 8 does not cause any known issues. As long as your using Chrome as your browser you should be good to go.

Do the issue go away if you directly plugin your ethernet from your computer to the beaglebone? Eliminating the tether?

The wiki should explain how to calibrate your ESCs, if you search the forum there are some posts with link to you tube videos on the same. Motors not going backwards could easily be either calibration or programing of the ESC issues.

Video could fail to load if your having connectivity issues mentioned earlier, as the ROV might miss the signal that tells it video is being sent.

-Brian

In addition to Brian's answers, about your connectivity issues:

Make sure that the 3 LEDs on the topside homeplug arodapter are on. I sometimes have troubles with the connectivity and the homeplug adapters renegotiate. This is indicated by all 3 LEDs going dark and then come back. During this time, there is no connection from the laptop to the ROV.

I can improve this by making sure the tether is nicely connected to the screw terminals.

Hope that helps

- Dominik

Okay we are calibrating the ESCs and we have encountered another problem. When we turn the switch on an ESC, it always controls the starboard motor, sometimes the vertical motor too. But regardless, of the vertical motor, the starboard always goes off. We believe the problem is located on step 70, wiring the DB-25 board. Does the wiring order of the ESC's matter? On the diagram it does not seem to make a difference as nothing is laid out in stone.

Thanks

Okay we are calibrating the ESCs and we have encountered another problem. When we turn the switch on an ESC, it always controls the starboard motor, sometimes the vertical motor too. But regardless, of the vertical motor, the starboard always goes off. We believe the problem is located on step 70, wiring the DB-25 board. Does the wiring order of the ESC's matter? On the diagram it does not seem to make a difference as nothing is laid out in stone.

Thanks

The order of the 3 wires per motor does not matter that much. It might be that the motor is running backwards in different wire configurations but this can be controlled via software.

About the ESC, are you aware that there are two steps required in the ESC setup?

There is the programming where you tell the ESC how it should control the motor (for example does it allow to run backwards, how should the stopping behaviour be, etc).

And there is the actual calibration where you have to tell the ESC what your controller signal for stop, full throttle forwards and full throttle backwards is.

As you say the motor is constantly running, it seems that the calibration is not done yet (I had the same issue at first)

We followed all the instructions on this page:

http://wiki.openrov.com/index.php/Programming_the_ESC

First we did the Programming tab and then the Calibrating tab.

Our school's OpenROV is having trouble with the video feed too (the motors are working fine). I plugged the camera into the computer and verified that it's working, so I'm a little puzzled at how I'm able to connect to the ROV (since I can control motors), but I'm unable to receive video. Seems like my connections must be solid. Not sure what else I should do.

A few things come to mind that you can try.

1. plug a Lan patch cable directly from the BBB to your computer and see if the video works.

2. Clear the cache on your browser by going into settings and history.

3. try loading Google Chrome Canary version.

http://www.google.ca/intl/en/chrome/browser/canary.html

4.try re imaging the SD Card with the new code.

I finally figured out how to get the camera to come on reliably. Go to the dashboard (192.168.254.1) and stop the cockpit, and then restart it. When it restarts, the camera works!

Maybe also just refreshing the browser page by hitting F5 will do this as well.

But you should not have to do this unless your laptop does not have enough cpu horsepower to handle the video and it freezes. I am not sure what code you are on but there has been changes made to the code to improve this. If you have not already done so I would load the latest image. But if you were able to restart the cockpit from 192.168.254.1 then I suspect you are on the current code.

I had it working pretty well last night, but when I took it to the pool with students, I got about 30 seconds of run time before it froze. After power cycling (disconnecting the batteries) I was able to get it to run again for another 30 seconds or so, but after that no luck I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest image (it's what was loaded on the BeagleBones for the 50 teachers who got kits). It worked fairly well about a month ago or two ago, but I just can't pin down what's causing it problems right now.