GoPro Fitment on Trident body?

If I want to record 4K images it appears the only solution at the moment is to mount a GoPro on Trident.

Will there be unused threaded mounting holes on the body to allow a mechanical attachment of a GoPro mount or will I have to risk using one of the self adhesive mounts?

Many thanks

2 Likes

Hi, you can find some information here. I think this is quite close to the production model, when it comes to the under side of the ROV

1 Like

Thank you, that helps, shame there are no fixing holes topside so Trident can rest on the bottom allowing whatever is mounted topside to work.

2 Likes

Has anyone experience of attaching a GoPro (in a dive housing) to a Trident?

• How did this affect the vehicle’s attitude and buoyancy, and how did you compensate for this?

• Did you find it necessary to attach additional lighting (when working at depth/night), and if so, same questions as above re attitude and buoyancy.

Thank you

This may be of some help - I have 3D printed a GoPro mount for Trident and attached a camera in a waterproof dive housing (see pic). I have not used the setup in anger yet so can’t comment on any lighting issues but tests in my bathtub show a slight nose down attitude while exhibiting some overall buoyancy - in my case balanced by approx 20g ballast via the rear centre mounting utilising a pair of penny washers, which restored both attitude and neutral buoyancy. Tests were without the salt water ballast attachments which appear in the photo.

1 Like

Anyone interested in accessing the 3D print design file for the GoPro mount can find it here: Trident GoPro mount. Feel free to adapt/adjust as you please. I printed the mount in ABS and it feels reassuringly strong.

2 Likes

Thank you cmcp, looks good and sounds promising.
Will be interested to hear your experiences when used in anger

Further to the GoPro mount mentioned (above) I have developed a range of useful mounts to accommodate a variety of configurations and uses. I still haven’t made it out of the bathtub(!) as far as testing is concerned, but see the attached pics. Anyone interested can access and download the 3d print files free from here. Mounts

3 Likes

Great job ! Thanks so much for your sharing !

Nice work, the image quality is a little low if you wouldn’t mind posting a couple more pictures. I have a couple ideas for attachments I will be working on this winter as well.

Just remember the stock GoPro housing is only good to 130’. GroupBinc.com and golemgear.com both make deepwater gopro housings that look promising.

Thanks for your interest. My mounts are not yet tested at depth so until such time proceed with caution. As requested I’ve posted some pics below showing the range of mounts and their possible use with my camera /lights combination.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for sharing.

I was figuring out a way to add my video divinggear (GoPro and 2 SeaLife 2500 lumen video lamps) onto my Trident. I made a (very) simple prototype. Still need to test/adjust the buoyancy but here is my first try-out. Comments are welcome. (PS. I fitted my gopro just for the photo, i will test it with my diving house.)
The brackets I made from an aluminum strip, drilled holes for the M3 strews.

1 Like

Is it possible to add volume, with x% fill to the mount, to compensate for the camera negative buoyancy? I noticed some CAD programs will show the volume, and weight if it knows the material.

I’m also curious how your tests at depth go wrt deformation with different materials, percent fill, and outer ‘shell’ layers.

Downloaded your T Mount - Thanks!

I’m don’t feel qualified to offer advice on the buoyancy question you pose; as for the integrity of the mounts at depth, I’m still a few weeks away from boat launch when I’ll hope to carry out some sea trials. The T-mount which you have downloaded has a raised section to tilt the mount - this is to allow a GoPro mounted payload to fold flat, which it can’t do with a standard fit. This section will be the most vulnerable to crush loads. I mostly print my mounts with 50% fill and they appear pretty strong but if in doubt 100% fill shouldn’t prove over expensive given the compact nature of the smaller mounts such as the T-mount, Slim and Flexi mounts. I’d be interested to learn how your own experiences work out. Also interested to hear from @hanspc8086 how the impressive lights/camera mount works out. I imagine the handling/performance issues with Trident might be significant.
I’m presently considering how best to create a mount to attach adjustable buoyancy/ballast modules. I’ll post if successful.

Here is a link to my 3D print file for a simple set of clips to secure styrofoam or similar buoyancy to the underside of Trident. Here is the link to my previous Trident mount 3D print files. All are free to download/print/adapt/adjust.

1 Like

This is super cool and helpful! Thank you for sharing.

I’ve been experimenting with extruded aluminum rails thinking it could be a flexible system for mounting external gear to the Trident.

Yesterday I mounted a GoPro on a swivel mount. Probably overkill but with the idea of re-use in mind it is an interesting start (if I do say so myself). The full framework adds 250 grams of weight and the Go Pro with the super-suit and mounting kit adds 300 grams. I’m looking for a good modular buoyancy solution but for now will settle for closed cell foam zip tied to the chassis.

The center rail slides between the lateral rails. I imagine configuring it with “wings” for external video lights, legs to stand off the bottom an minimize silt storms when flying low, Grabber mounts-- I’m particularly fond of the pressure fit, trigger release carabiner ideas I’ve seen posted. I think I can bolt on something like that too.

I’m thinking I could even strap gear to the top of the rover by anchoring it to the bottom.

Thank you - these are really good.

I’m not familiar with the technical details of 3D printing. What material / settings would you recommend? I’ve tried the standard ABS & also standard PETG, but had problems with the three prongs of the camera mount snapping.

Thanks

Glad you like the mounts. You don’t say which you have used but generally speaking the GoPro mounts are fine in PLA or stronger; the prongs are an obvious weak spot when unpopulated but should be fine when payload in place. I haven’t had any failures with the mounting prongs using 2mm wall thickness and 50% infill.

It isn’t possible to be definitive about settings as these are often printer dependent but a reduced print speed and layer thickness (0.15mm if available), high value (70/80%) infill and a 2mm wall thickness may be helpful. I’d recommend a PLA or PETG print as I’ve occasionally had brittle ABS prints in the past. I’ll be interested to hear how you go.