FPV goggles for the Trident?

Has anyone explored the subject of utilizing FPV goggles topside? I have ordered the new controller and want to incorporate a set into my new system. I also fly DJI drones commercially and if possible wanted to see if it doable to use the new DJI FPV goggles with Trident via output on controller. DJI supports MP4, MOV & MKV. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I don’t want to part with the $$ for the Mavic only. If I can use on both platforms then it would be well worth it!

Thanks, Steve Driscoll

Have you seen this post about using HD goggles with the 2.8?

The JXD for the Trident has an HDMI port so you could plug any HD goggles (including the DJI ones) in there and use the controls on the JXD but view the image through your HD goggles. You could do something similar with a regular tablet that has an HDMI port.

Also this thread
https://forum.openrov.com/t/vr-headset-for-fpv-trident-flying-on-the-cheap-and-hacky/6239

I use the DJI Goggles via HDMI on the JXD . Works great!

I am also using the DJI Goggles (Racing Edition) with my JXD controller. It’s a very nice arrangement.

Does anybody know (and have they been successful) in using the JXD micro-usb port to supply video to a set of FPV googles?

I am looking at this new product from Epson: the Moverio BT-35E which accepts both HDMI and USB C video direct input https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/08/epson-launches-moverio-bt-35e-smart-glasses/

The BT-35E will operate without a power supply if it receives an input via its USB C interface…not so via HDMI, hence preference on this end to feed video (and power pass through) via USB (am assuming too its possible to convert from micro USB to USB C with power pass through). Hoping to avoid requirement for separate external power supply to energize the smart glasses.

@spaceaholic I haven’t used the ports on the JXD controller to export video, but I have been able to use FPV goggles wirelessly using the Android Cast Screen feature on the JXD,.

My setup for this is:

• Yuneec SkyView FPV HDMI Headset - $70
  • Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - $40
  • USB power bank - $30
  • 90 Degree Micro HDMI Male to HDMI Female Cable Adapter - $6

You plug the Wireless Display Adapter into the FPV Googles HDMI, using the HDMI Adapter. Plug the USB from the Wireless Display Adapter into the USB Power Bank. To keep things neat I used short wires and Velcroed the power bank to the top of the goggles.

Once the Wireless Display Adapter has powered up, you should be able to see it on the JXD when you activate the Cast Screen.

I’ve used this setup with every dive of my Trident, and it has work great! I usually have a co-pilot(s) using the goggles to watch for Points of Interest while i focus on navigating.

Here is some images of it in use. With a wireless setup the googles can be freely passed around, and you can be quite a distance from the JXD.

~Michael

Thanks for posting your set-up. Have you noticed if there is a lag between the controller and the goggles?

Goggles for a single operator sound nice for sun glare but I think situational awareness of surface objects, boats, swimmers, etc. is important and I’d want to lift them up a lot of the time. For a second viewer they make a lot of sense, I know aerial video/photography drones often operate as a team, one person piloting and the other operating the camera through goggles.

@alaskasurf I avoid using the goggles when I’m alone, and only will do so when the glare is so great that I can’t navigate with the controller alone. Most of what I do though I have a team there, so there are many eyes on the ROV from all the available points of view.

Yes there is a bit of a lag between the controller and goggles views. This is another reason I prefer to have the copilot on the goggles. His job is usually to keep an eye out for things of interest, and things to worry about. In most cases I notice these things ahead of time, so the lag for the copilot is not an issue. Since I’m usually lost in the moment, its good to have a second person to point out these things, and remind me of them as I wander around.

~Michael