Finding Acrylic Cement Outside the USA

Ah…interesting…I didn’t think of that. I bet it would be an issue for a
few of our parts to have a fillet. I know in times past we used the resin
to build up on some areas just for that reason…thanks for bringing that
up.

~Z

HONG KONG

Has anyone had any luck sourcing Acrylic Cement in Hong Kong?
Also, is there something special about the applicator of the recommended 2-ton epoxy, or will any strong epoxy do the trick?

Regarding the epoxy, we’ve tested the ROVs with a good deal of epoxies and
haven’t discovered anything the flat out wont work. The issue is that
we’ve only thoroughly tested a few versions to 100m depths. So simply put,
I think it will work, but use at your own risk.

Let me know what you find, we can match up the data sheet and maybe find
some alternatives.

Z

HONG KONG

I’ve had no luck finding the recommended Acrylic Cements in Hong Kong, but there are many shops making acrylic-based signs on Reclamation Street in Sham Shui Po, and they use and sell Chloroform. Very inexpensive, only a few dollars a bottle.

I bought a few bits of scrap acrylic too, and practiced joining them with the chloroform, and I’d recommend this idea - it bonds very quickly, with very little time to adjust alignment so a little practice was welcomed.

Gurus - are there any downsides to using Chloroform? It certainly seems to make a very strong bond.

Here’s one for Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACRI-BOND-110-Acrylic-Cement-Adhesive-Glue-100ml-for-PC-Acrylic-HIPS-ABS-PVC-/301431516530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item462eb7ed72

Chloroform works according to some of our community members, but we’ve never tried the pure stuff in house. Also, that’s the main ingredient in some of our solvents here in the US…so I’d imagine it;s probably a good option.

Use in a ventilated area.

Zack

Hi,
in Italy (and Europe) the (real) acrilic cement is impossible to find!
You can not import it from the US.
After much research I found a factory that produces acrylic panels which also produces the glue.
It is located in San Dorligo della Valle, near Trieste (north-east Italy)
http://www.plastidite.com/category/articoli/colle/
They have recommended the liquid glue UV reactive.
Works well for capillarity, it allows you to place the pieces and hardens to UV exposure.
Very strong bonding.
Available even dense glue, to fill the cavities.
I used a UVA sunlamp (Philips HPA400).
Excellent result.
Important: The glue must be kept in the cold (preferably in the refrigerator, not the freezer) and in the dark. During bonding wery low light. Before use the cement must be at normal room temperature.

I ask if it is possible to use the dense glue to fill the holes for the cables, instead of epoxy resin.
When it hardens (UV) it becomes acrilic, transparent and indistinguishable from the rest.

Stefano

And, what about using chloroform or ether? In Spain it’s impossible to find anything similar to the “WELD ON IPS XX”

You might be able to find the acrifix. Check the top of the thread.

Maybe it is of use for other German or European ROV builders:

I could not get my hands on the products mentioned above because most of them are restricted not to be sold for private use. So I bought 100 ml Dichlormethan from an online shop for model making and architecture materials.

https://www.modulor.de/Klebstoff-Klebeband/Klebstoffe/Loesungsmittel-Dichlormethan/Dichlormethan-Methylenchlorid.html?redirected=1

The stuff is not very healthy so I always wore latex gloves (dont use vinyl gloves they melt instantly) and worked in a well ventilated area. Dichlormethan is thin like water so I used the tip of a 0,2 mm syringe needle attached to a small dropping pipette. This worked very well but I recommend to practice cementing small pieces of acrylic because it takes a little practice and the curing time of the Dichlormethan is very short. About 10 s for larger surfaces like the big end caps.

This is good stuff to know, thanks Oger.

Zack

Hi there,
For fabricating the large end caps,
I cant access Devcon 23145 2 ton epoxy here in New Zealand.
Anyone know if Weld-on 40 is a suitable substitute ?
Its a two part epoxy, says its good for Acrylic, has good pressure rating. It is fairly expensive, but don’t
want to skimp on this part of the assemble.
Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Kel

Access the DEVCON website and download their technical data sheet (TDS), then compare with what you can get in NZ. Particularly interesting is the part about tensile strenght.
On the other hand, there are no particular transport restrictions on epoxy (on acrylic cement there is), so if you can find a forwarder in the US you might be better off getting it shipped.

Thanks for your reply. When I look at places like Amazon, there is a suggestion that Air Freight is not allowed. I’ll look into sea freight. Thanks again for yr interest. Cheers.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I have an Acrylic cement “Sci grip #4” which seems to do the gluing pretty well.
The Devcon epoxy is recommended for sealing/potting the wires thru the end cap. It seems no supplier will send it air freight, so I will look at sea freight, if I cant get suitable substitute.

Cheers

Hi Kel

The self-mixing nozzles that come with the Devcon brand epoxy are excellent. If you’re forced to use another brand (without the self-mixing nozzle), it would be a good idea to have a few empty syringes to hand. After you’ve mixed your epoxy in a container (and it hopefully isn’t full of air bubbles), you can use a spare syringe as an applicator. You need the ability to deliver the mixed epoxy into some tight spots, and into the small holes in the battery end caps too.

Good luck!

Thanks James, your comments appreciated. I’m still trying to sort out getting some Devcon from USA.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I’m really excited to join you guys. I just received my OpenROV last week and the first problem I bumped into was this cement thing. I live on the border of France and Switzerland near Geneva and this stuff is really hard to find around here. After following several references from random people for a few days I found a chemicals shop called Ideal Chimic in Carouge (http://www.idealchimic.ch/) and they sold me a liter of 98-100% Methylene Cloride (or Chloride de Méthylène in French) :smile: And it works beautifully!!

The shop is pretty hardcore, here’s a picture: https://goo.gl/photos/z9HiV1X2KF7bKcut9 :smiley:

Cheers,
Evaldas

Oh wow! That’s pretty cool!

Thanks for the tip!

Zack

@Richard_Soderberg, did you try this one? Success? Seems to be the only one I can find, that will ship to Norway.