Finding Acrylic Cement Outside the USA

Finding acrylic solvent has been a difficult thing for international OpenROV users. OpenROV doesn't have the means to be able to ship this stuff from HQ due to mild flammability and different country restrictions. I'm writing this post to give ROV'ers around the world a place for information they need to find acrylic cement in other countries. I'd like to invite any comments from folks who've been successful at this so that others may learn and succeed as well.

This discussion will be sent to the forums after a while, maybe.

We're going to look at three types of solvent cement that we've used successfully here at the lab. I will provide some links and pictures for each. This by no means is comprehensive nor have I been able to find retail outlets (both online or brick-and-mortar) for these. Hopefully by users posting their own finding as comments we can get a list going.

1) IPS Weld-on 3 / Weld-on 4

Company: IPS

Link to international distribution: http://weldon.com/international

Weld-On 3 - Fastest Setting. Water-Thin. Fast evaporation. Will leave markoff (blush) if spilled. Glue for acrylic sheets. Acrylic to Acrylic. Polycarbonate to Polycarbonate. Not for beginners.

Weld-On 4 - Fast Setting. Water-Thin. Fast evaporation. Acrylic to Acrylic. Polycarbonate to Polycarbonate. Best for most applications of these materials.

2) SciGrip 3 / Sci Grip 4

Company: SciGrip

Link to international distribution: http://www.scigrip.com/distributors.php

SciGrip 3 - Water thin, non-flammable, very fast-setting solvent cement for bonding acrylic. It will also bond with other thermoplastics such as polystyrene, CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate), PETG (polyethylene terephthalate glycol) and polycarbonate to themselves. It will not bond to cross linked acrylics.

SciGrip 4 - Water thin, somewhat flammable, moderately fast-setting, blush-resistant solvent cement for bonding acrylic. It will also bond with other thermoplastics such as polystyrene, CAB (cellulose acetate butyrate), and polycarbonate to themselves. It will not bond to cross-linked acrylic.

3) Evonik Acrifix 1S 0117 / Acrifix 1S 0107

Company: Evonik

Link to international distribution: http://www.acrifix.com/product/acrifix/en/where-to-buy/pages/default.aspx OR online at: http://www.plexiglas-shop.com/shopselect.htm

Acrifix 1S 0117 - Solvent acrylic cement that is free of dichloromethane (methylen chloride). This solvent cement was developed utilizing a patented formula to provide an alternative to cements containing dichloromethane. ACRIFIX® 1S 0117 does not cause crazing or blushing (whitening) when used as recommended under normal conditions. Also, the bonds produced from ACRIFIX® 1S 0117 solvent cement are strong and clear.

Acrifix 1S 0107 - Quick Set Solvent Cement is a thin-bodied, quick drying, colorless to slightly yellowish solvent adhesive (one-component) containing methylene chloride that will not blush.

Please comment your success / not-so-success stories in the post. Hopefully we can get the word out quickly.

Substitute for acrylic cement
Has anyone used Acetone instead of acrylic glue?
India - Shipping and Acrylic Cement sourcing
What kind of adhesive?

Some chatter from our forums:

New Zealand: http://www.modernplastics.co.nz/

UK: http://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/ema-plastic-weld-suitable-for-most-plastics-57ml-ideal-for-evergreen-plastruct.ir?cName=hobbycraft-ema-plastic-weld

Hi! I just had that problem down here in Chile, south America. Is not like you can’t find the acrylic cement in the country, but you can’t find it in your local store, the same has the epoxy.

So I went to the source, the acrylic local businesses and ask them what do they use? And they told me they use Chloroform, or at least that’s what he said and sold to me. I’ve got 250ml for $4 dollars.

And it works!
=D

EMA-57ml-Plastic-Weld-Cement-PPC-2

Methylene Chloride

Model Hobbies, Stoke-on-trent (UK?)

Ebay, shipped to Sweden w/o problems

/RS

There's a real problem finding any of this in New Zealand. Nobody will air freight it because of how dangerous it is and no-one needs to import enough of it to ship it by sea. I have found one importer (who are out of stock until next year), but they only sell to trade.

I have found this : This which is available from the local RS store, but I'd need to experiment with some spare perspex and see if it will do the job. The data sheet is actually a 24 page safety warning!

Bought a bottle of 1l Diclormethan (Cloruro de Metano in Spanish) at a local shop at Barcelona (Quimics Dalmau). 9€ aprox.

Obviously not recommended for daily use and only in very well ventilated sites.

I worked outside of the garage, just in case...

In France I find this in equivalent... 8€50

I've been using this with great success so far - http://www.hindleys.com/index.php/best-sellers/hindleys-liquid-solvent-cement-500ml.html

They are a UK company, but the delivery address form has most countries in the EU - to be honest though I haven't checked if they will deliver outside the UK.

Another positive find in Switzerland: Thanks Piotr.

There is a small company that processes acrylplastic. (www.artaplast.ch)

They can order the glue directly by evonik. The smallest quantity is 1 kg.

My tests with the RS Components solvent proved successful, although it did take about 6 weeks to arrive from Australia by ship. It has a very low viscosity so syringes work for application, but it's best to clamp stuff in place as it has quite a long setting time (minutes).

These guys also sell different cements from evonik and technicoll:

http://www.roehmschweiz.ch/produkte/serviceprodukte/kleben-reinigen-verduennen/

But again, smallest quantities around 1kg

Ah, good find!

Thanks for the contribution…

~Z

Hi, Cristian, I ve got same problem here in Argentina. So, Choroform works right ?
Hola Cristian, tengo el mismo problema acá en Argentina, no venden cemento para acrilico basados en solvente como un producto comercial… estoy tratando de encontrar algo. Me dicen de pegarlo con Cloruro de Metileno, tu usaste cloroformo, funcionó bien ? alguna otra sugerencia ? Un abrazo desde este lado de la cordillera. Gracias.

Myself I have found a solution after reading several forums in the field of scale modelling: Chloroform, yes from the old kidnapping movies.
Chloroform does the same thing, welding the 2 acrylic pieces together.

Beware also Chloroform cannot be shipped but can be bought at most local Pharmasists, they have to make it for you but they can. And in the Netherlands there is a company that can make it for you too at the liter but they do not ship it, you have to come and get it at their production facility.

As I said a (local) Pharmasist can make it for you too, but the company is: Labstuff, after they make it for you to order, you have to go to Capelle a/d IJssel (town’s name) and pick it up overthere.

Labstuff
Breedspoor 64
Capelle a/d ijssel
Nederland
2908 AA
E-mailadres:
info@labstuff.nl

Hi there!
Finally I found it!

They send it everywhere and it’s very cheap!
I receive it after one week in France from UK! I recommend it

Scigrip 3 is now available from Amazon.de, and seems to ship to other places, i.e. Spain. I just placed an order and will keep you all updated on the result.

Adding the link may be helpful: http://www.amazon.de/SCIGRIP-Acrylic-Water-thin-Eisenwaren-Eisenwarenhandlung/dp/B00SBO62KO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429385056&sr=8-2&keywords=SciGrip

to add my tuppenceworth:-

I’m not a fan of dichloromethane solvent or any of the liquid cements alone, since they don’t have any gap filling abilities. ( lets say the end of a tube is not quite square or true, a plate is not perfectly flat, or has a small chip in the edge ) and you are kind of at the mercy of where the solvent flows rather than where you want it to go!

For critical structural joints i would recommend TENSOL 70 acrylic cement which has proved itself for me over many years for perspex assembly. readily available in UK from trade plastics suppliers.

TENSOL 70 is a two part( resin and catalyst ) that produces a proper structural bond.
its quite viscous and doesn’t produce a white bloom on the material.( unless you clean off excess from an area in which case it will of course damage the surface finish of the part )

its not cheap though ( i think 500ml is standard size) ,but you can just mix up enough to carry out the task in hand. and do consider that it is extremely evil from a fumes perspective, as with many of these types of adhesives. DO NOT use in an enclosed space or without adequate ventilation & i would not recommend it if you are particularly sensitive to strong chemical smells!
it can also produce some heat when curing so dont be alarmed when it gets hot!

it’s probably similar / same to what is sold by Evonik (plexiglass ) / Tensol ( perspex )

regards
stuart

I haven’t had too much experience with the pure dichloromethane, but I can wholeheartedly say that the water thin solvent type cement is ideal for our build. The gap filling compounds are indeed strong and helpful when things are poorly joined, but five years of optimizing for the solvent type cements listed at the beginning has led to strong feelings towards this.

I would like to acknowledge that Stuart is indeed correct about critical structural joints needing something more substantial especially when the fit isn’t perfect. For most acrylic modelers, both types of joining compounds have their uses. I’d say if you you got it, then go ahead and use it, but if you can only get one type, please go for the water thin, many aspects of our design require use of the capillary effect to correctly bond our design.

Thanks for the continued discussion on this, everyone.

~Zack

Hi Zack

Agree - certainly the resin types are no use if capillary action is desired or indeed designed, as per many details of the Openrov assembly.

i suppose the various options proposed in this thread boil down to two basic product categories:-

1. Solvent
  2. Solvent/resin mixtures

And the ultimate choice of exact product will depend on what is available at reasonable price in your area.

one thing to be aware of with the resins is of course that you inevitably get a slight fillet at the joints which can hamper further assembly if subsequent parts are meant to butt tightly into a corner for example.

regards
stuart