Fatshark goggles and Raspberry Pi instead of laptop

Hi,
I am working on a build that uses a Raspberry Pi2 instead of a laptop with FatShark goggles for underwater piloting. I have used laptops in the field for FPV (aircraft) use and find them cumbersome and often difficult to see the screen.
So far I have the Raspberry Pi running Chromium and connected to the rov via direct Ethernet plugin. This works but with the expected latency of about 600ms. I am trying to reduce the resolution of the image sent by the rov to standard definition to reduce the workload of the Raspberry Pi2. I have found the config.js file that references the framrate and resolution but don’t know how this works. Within config.js it also mentions to make the changes to rovconfig.json but I can’t find this file anywhere. My Openrov is 2.7 with OpenRov cockpit 2.5.1-rc1-87
Keep in mind that I have experience with Arduino but am new to linux based systems and Openrov.
Can somebody please help?

Hi Rob5,

I’m embarking on my OpenROV build and came across your post. I have been building quad copters and thought that this would be an interesting challenge. The combination of Fatshark and Raspberry Pi really interests me. Have you made any progress? WOuld like to collaborate with you on this project.

Respectfully,

Ryan

Sorry, missed this topic before:

The rovconfig.js should be in /etc/rovconfig.json. That is the file you will want to update.

You change the values to a new resolution. So to go to 640x480 you would change it to:

“video_resolution”: “SXGA” to “video_resolution”: “640x480”

Great idea, what are you using for control?

I have only got the video streaming at the moment. I have been sidetracked by another project but I hope to get back to this one soon. I plan on plugging a joystick into a usb port on the Pi2.

Hey @rob5
Im pretty keen to hear about your success with the Fatshark goggles? I too have a set for my FPV Quad & would like to have the immersed experience while using a ROV :slight_smile: Im a bit worried that the vid will give me motion sickness as he footage Ive seen so far is crazy unstable and the ROV seems a mess to move around? I thought someone may have taken a page out of the Quad copters success & used the innards out of one to stabilise the OpenROV. Having a very stable auto correcting ROV would be a dream while exploring caves & ship wrecks, image if it was like flying a Quad but a lot slower? Very Kewl. Anyway, I look foreword to hearing how you go with it :smile: Oh Also, do you have head tracking with your Fatsharks? because it would be great to move the Video camera with a head movement? just a thought :smile:
Cheers
OzyMark

If you have the IMU on your OpenROV, you can use depth hold and heading hold control loops to steady things a bit. I am hopeful more autopilot software should come in the future from our community based developers.

Jim

No need to reinvent the wheel? Quad has been using self levelling technology for a while & its already available in very cheap quads as well as being tiny. (size of a postage stamp! But it would require a whole new redesign of the ROV with 4 small thrusters to control Yaw roll & pitch with just one for additional fwd thrust. I wish I had the electronic smarts to do it but Sorry :frowning: not my field of excellence lol. for those not aware of S.A.F.E you can see it here. Fingers crossed we have some better equipped people who will be able to adapt its technology to ours :smiley:
S.A.F.E Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope

I see this post is old, but how did it go? I am working on a similar setup. The problem with Raspberry Pi and video, is that chromium does not have hardware acceleration on video. Meaning the CPU has to take care of the video processing. It’s the same with the VLC, but it’s possible to build VLC with hardware acceleration, I’m working on that issue at the moment. The OMXPlayer uses hardware acceleration, but this can not stream from network, neither do any recording…

@rune_soldal Any updates using the Raspian PIXEL with Chromium bundled? Heard it had HW acceleration. I was wondering how it worked with the OpenROV video. How do you like the FPV goggles?

@webhoppery, Sorry for delayed answer, busy times. No, I gave up the Raspian project, never got it to work, not even close! But I tried with Intel Stick, and actually I made this work, with smooth video. But I got problems with it being unstable. Suspecting lack of memory was the cause. It could work for a long time in my livingroom testing it, but everytime I went diving, I got problems with freezing etc after a while. But in the meantime this one came up, I have ordered it, and hoping this can be a good solution for making a simple, robust solution, that can be built in a waterproof case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-8-Inch-PIPO-X10-Window-10-Android-Mini-Pc-Dual-OS-TV-BOX-Intel-Z8350-Tablet-/322416189386?hash=item4b11809fca:g:eNcAAOSwhQhY06yA