Experiment.com opportunity to support telepresence for marine science

Greetings enthusiasts!
I hope you all are well. There’s an initiative that is using immersive telepresence that is trying to drive down the cost of systems like Nautilus Live, and adding the capability for middle and high school students, and eventual citizen scientists, the ability to control remote low cost equipment, like the Trident, BlueROV, smart buoys and others, for science education and monitoring of interesting sites. This is a project that is being done between Toledo Public Schools, Toledo OH, and volunteer groups on the Chesapeake Bay. The experiment.com page highlights the funding opportunity to set up the telepresence system and test it’s effectivness on remote learning and prototype a more stable and cost effective system for students and the community. Please take a look. We would be honored for your support of TPS (Toledo Public Schools) and the Tethys Oceanix LLC volunteer program.

Best regards and may you all have a safe and happy holiday season.

– Jim

Oh yeah…unless I have misunderstood, I think they are saying we might soon have the ability to control Trident and other similar technology remotely over the internet.

COUNT ME IN.

Hi Perry,

Thanks for the response. The experiment com project is an education/outreach initiative. Just to clarify, it’s not so much of a product development project from anyone who would be able to support and/or market it. Not saying that someone couldn’t do that but it is not the goal of the work. If funded, we will certainly publish architectures, lessons learned, data on effectiveness for remote learning and marine science engagement, etc. I hope that helps understanding.

Thanks again!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

So I have just discovered after reading the details in a little more detail.

It appears I might be on a parallel course down here in Australia so it is great to know there are others out there with similar objectives. Once again, let me know if there is anything I can do to help (for example I have just created and demonstrated two field deployable and completely weather resistant ground/tripod/mast/boat mounted LTE based data transmission systems for live broadcasting Trident underwater video).

Kind regards
Jason