Electronics tube depth test VII


#1

When I was splicing my new endcap to #272, I noticed a small hole in one of the wires.

If you click on the photo for the fill size, you will see the damage done by sea water (one trip). The hole in the sheathing seems big but it was just a tiny slit, till I picked at it to see if it went through.

My attempt at a pressure sensor...

One 1/8th"ID tube 2m long. Marked at each 10m interval (roughly 1 atmosphere every 10m)

Adding a switch (always on unless you hold it in the off position). Ran out of epoxy, just shy of where it needed to be to hold the tube in place. Stupidly tried to flush extra epoxy out of tip by forcing hot glue down the tip. Rewarded with bad 2nd degree burn on my finger. Fair enough.

Topped-up the pot with hot glue. When I added the oil and plugged the top, I heard/felt the tube slide up a bit (from the pressure of pushing the plug into such a small tube. Strangely it did not leak and worked perfectly...

Until later when I cut it off thinking it was to blame for a (lack of)power issue I was having (it was not).

A switch really is worth the effort. Especially when you are putting oil in the battery tubes.

My makeshift topside adapter for the raspberry pi camera.

Everything powered up. You may notice that the one homeplug adapter is not connected. I discovered that the homeplugs need to have separate power sources (as in separate batteries). I was not finding the signal to be significantly better with the relay powered. So I went with leaving them un-powered. Still not certain why they will extend range when they are un-powered, but I will take it.

Cable is attached like so.

This is the where the spindles are attached. The one with the rope fits right in front of the cable.

My Slip-ring order showed up just in time! it seems to work well.

Sneak peek of next post:

Things were not yet ready on Sunday and this is as close as I got to the water on Monday.


#2

http://www.scubastore.com/tauchen/oceanic-b.u.d./18471/p