Dead BeagleBone Black, replace with BeagleBone?

Somehow, I bricked my BeagleBone Black; no LEDs come on when plugged into USB or 5v. I did some initial testing to see if I could figure out what was wrong, but there was nothing obvious.

I inherited three kits (v2.5-2.6?), and two of them had normal BeagleBones (not black).
I would like to know if I can use one of them instead of the Black, because I don’t really want to hash out $50 when I have these two working boards. I’m using the v2.6 controller board.

I also saw this thread about using the BeagleBone Green, so I might end up doing that if there I can’t use the original BeagleBones.

Thanks!

Hello Chris,

So we haven’t tested a Beagle Bone White with a modern (2.6 and newer) controller board, in theory they should be compatible though. The BBW has slightly less processing power than the BBB, but it shouldn’t affect it too much. I would recommend that you try it out. If you would, we would love to hear if the BB Whites are compatible with new controller boards… Be sure to update the software to the latest version, v 30.0.3.

Sorry I turned this one around on you! We’d love to know if it works!

Best,

Nima Torabi
OpenROV Support