Corrupt root file system

My BBB card keeps getting a corrupt file system. I see this from detaching the BBB and using a serial debugger cable. Output below.

I can reload the image from a SD card, and after a few reboots, it seems to work. My problem is that after another 5-10 startups, the currupsion is back, and the ROV will not start.

I suspect I’ll have to get another BBB. Can this be confirmed? Or is there anything else I can do, like formatting the internal drive? (Unless that is already done through the flash reload)

I will try to work with the OS running of the SD card for a while, but I’d really like to get this back up running…

Symptoms:

• The Blue User LEDs are flashing a bit, but no cyclone
  • The main LEDs (headlights) are flashing on and off
  • The output from the serial debugger looks like this:

[ ok ] Setting parameters of disc: (none).
    [ 8.126835] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
    […] Checking root file system…fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    rootfs contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    rootfs: Unattached inode 37570

rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck died with exit status 4
failed (code 4).
[…] An automatic file system check (fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be perfo[FAILin maintenance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode. … failed!
[…] The root filesystem is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press CONTROL-D[warnerminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. … (warning).
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

I have the the same problem, every 4-5 startups the image gets corrupted and I have to flash it again. I am using the flash-2.5.1-39 version available in the OpenROV website. I think the problem is that there is no mechanism for proper shutdown of the beaglebone. Maybe someone has found a good solution to this.

Hi Tom:

The 2.8 Controller Board has hardware support for proper shutdown of the BBB. When you pull power off of the tether, it signals the BBB 100msec before shutting down the power system. According to Brian, OpenROV software 30.1.0 will have support for this feature of the 2.8 controller board.

-W

Unfortunately, I have the old 2.6 version board. Maybe, I have to upgrade the image to version 30 anyway and see how it behaves.
Also, there might be an ssh command to initiate shutdown. I think I saw this sometime ago somewhere in the forum, but still I am not sure if this is the problem for frequent image corruption… I will try check it sometime this week.

Might be useful to know that the root password is just root, so this can be provided when the serial debugger cable is attached and you’re prompted for this.

On my system, upon entering this password, a fsck was automatically run on the root file system and it seemed to fix the problem for now. I’ve managed to do several successful startups after this and also had a successful dive last night.

Looking forward to the upgraded board, do we know if there will be a upgrade kit for us running v2.6?

So the stock 2.8 controller board can’t be used in a 2.6 or 2.7 OpenROV, as it has a right-angle DB-25 connector as opposed to a straight-through one. Once our stock of 2.7 controller boards is sold out, we’ll probably do a special run of the 2.8 controller boards with straight-through connectors, to use as spares for 2.5/2.6/2.7. If you’re interested in such a thing, I’d ping tech support and ask them about the availability of such a product.

-W