Connecting OpenROV 2.8 with external sensors

hi, i need a little help with my project here. i need to connect ORP sensor and pH sensor to my OROV 2.8 and display their reading in real time. can i connect the sensors directly to the system without an Arduino? how and where can i modify the coding to add those sensors.

1. my IMU sensors seems not functioning (BNO_INIT_STATUS_FAILED) is shown in the OpenROV cockpit…i am running software image 30.0.3.

thanks in advance

0 Likes

@wong95wong,

Either you have wired up the IMU incorrectly to the OROV wire harness or you did not get a good solder joint when you attached the four wires to the IMU pads.

What kind of output does your ORP and pH sensor provide? Is it I2C or what?

Regards,
TCIII AVD

0 Likes

but i followed the guide (https://openrov.dozuki.com/Guide/IMU-Depth+Module+2.0+for+all+OpenROVs+(Production+started+July+2015)/98?lang=en) to installed the IMU, nevermind will check on that again…

for the sensors, i am not sure about the output type it is Arduino compatible sensors (sku: sen0161)

Thanks,
WONG

0 Likes

@wong95wong,

If you have it wired to the harness correctly, then you might just have a bad wire solder joint on the IMU pwb. If you have already potted the IMU in its case, then there is no recourse.

I have dealt with several failed IMUs and the cause was always a bad wire solder joint at the IMU PWB. That is why I always test the un-potted IMU for functionality before potting it.

The IMU communicates on the I2C buss so if your other two sensors are I2C compatible then you might be able to use them on the Arduino I2C buss as long as their addresses do not conflict with anything else on the I2C buss like the IMU!

Regards,
TCIII AVD

0 Likes

does that mean i can connect them to OROV directly without an extra Arduino?or i still need an extra Arduino as slave,
and where can i check and modify the code? through the cockpit or connect the control board to pc?

0 Likes

@wong95wong,

You need to determine the type of outputs for your sensors before you can determine what extra processors you need, if any, and what code to write to communicate with the sensors.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

0 Likes

@TCIII
ok, will try to figure that out.
i would like to display the output of the sensor in the cockpit, where can i see or where should i edit or modify the coding from? is it the control board or the BBB?

thank you

0 Likes