'Clump weight' system to reduce tether drag

Hello everyone,

I’m new to this community so I thought i’d first introduce my self. My name is Zac and I have recently started a PhD project which will be involving the OpenROV.

While looking at some literature I came across this simple idea, not sure if the idea has already been mentioned but thought it would be worth sharing. It basically involves using a buoy, weight and a rope to secure the tether at a certain depth to reduce the tether drag and improve maneuverability at depth.

Has anyone tried this? Or do you think it would be useful?

Unfortunately as i’m a new user I cant post images, but find the image in the following link:
http://postimg.org/image/ly6yw3wv3/

Hey Zac,

Welcome to the community. First off you can attach an image with the upload button found in the window that shows up when you write a forum post. It looks like a flat bar with a vertical arrow above it.

Second, I know at least at OpenROV HQ we have tested using a clump weight a couple times. However, the system that we have used was been different than the one that you posted. Our tether was actually broken up into two sections, the “free tether” was the normal ROV tether, while the “ROV tether” was replaced with speaker wire with a clump weight attached between the “free tether” and the “ROV tether”. This was done because we found that with a clump weight attached to the normal ROV tether it had a tenancy to try to untwist itself.

Personally, I’m not sure if you really need a separate clump weight rope. You should be able to mount the clump weight on the same tether as the ROV if you do it correctly. But, give it a shot, this should all be relatively easy to setup and test. Also don’t forget to post your results and the forums or put your expedition on OpenExplorer.com, that’s what this community is really all about.

@Walt_Holm could provide more details on this subject, since he actually designed the clump weight system that we used on the ROV. I’m just paraphrasing what I know about this system, secondhand.

Hi Zac:

I use a clump weight on the tether any time I’m operating deeper than 50m or so. We’ve taken experimental versions of OpenROV down to 280m in Lake Tahoe, and it wouldn’t work at all without some form of clump weight.

As Patrick said, you can basically skip the “clump weight rope” that is shown on your diagram, and attach the weight (~1-2 pounds) directly on the tether. I’ve been evolving the design over time, and the last iteration of the design seemed to work pretty well. The downline was made of speaker wire, in this case 24AWG rather than the 26AWG tether provided by the kit. The heavier wire is stronger, and can better carry the load of the clump weight. Speaker wire won’t try to untwist when you put the load of the clump weight on it.

From the clump weight, run 15-30m of neutrally-buoyant tether (you can find it in our store) to the ROV. Where the clump weight mounts, attach a small strobe light to aid in orientation at depth.

At some point I’ll post something more complete, with pictures, but this should give you an idea.

-W

Manufacturing a shell for deep dives at 1000m+

Interesting, thanks for your responses. I think the diagram I posted was meant for heavier, deeper setups where the tether is not appropriate to hold tension, it definitely makes sense to do it the way you guys have suggested, it’s much simpler. 280m? wow that’s very deep. Did you document that expedition anywhere?

Hi all !!
Opening again this post because trying to drive and dive the trident about 80 MTS deep water in ocean is difficult, very difficult ,almost for me…
Has anybody more information about a clump with the rov?
How it works? Has the rov enought power for push it or needs to be small one?
Will test it…but before if is possible would like your opinion!

Thanks🤗