Cannot Control ROV in Cockpit (i.e. lasers, motors, etc.)

Hi everyone,

Although I am able to connect to the cockpit, ping to the ROV IP address, and ssh to connect to the ROV, I am not able to control anything from the cockpit. I see the three lights (Homeplug Adapter light, USB power light, and ethernet light) on on the adapter. When I look at the cockpit, I can see stream from the camera but I cannot control the lasers, motors, etc either from hotkeys or the Diagnostics menu. I have tried updating the firmware back and forth from 2.5.1-final to 30.0.0 with no luck. I am currently using 30.0.0.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this (I’ve followed the online guide to the point where it told me to contact the support team and I did) or what could be wrong?

Thanks!

Have you been re-applying the Arduino firmware everyone you change the beaglebone image? Under settings…

Yup, I have been uploading the firmware to the Arduino each time (and the uploads have been successful each time).

Are you seeing the telemetry on the right hand side? You can also grab the log file and attach it and I might be able to see something.

The log file is vars/log/openrov.log right? Do you know what the command is
for saving it elsewhere (cp vars/log/openrov.log ?) ? I’m having trouble
grabbing it off of the board.

The log file is vars/log/openrov.log right? Do you know what the command is
for saving it elsewhere (cp vars/log/openrov.log ?) ? I’m having trouble
grabbing it off of the board.

Usually cat the file and then go back in the screen buffer of my ssh client and copy and paste.

Thanks! Here’s the log file from the last time it was up (just a couple minutes ago and the same issues with no control).

openrov_log.txt (236.7 KB)

Hm. The Arduino is locking up. I’m not sure off hand why. I recommend doing another firmware upload from the settings screen.

I’ll take a second look and see if I can get more insight.

Just tried it again! No luck. We have also tried multiple uploads already for each new firmware that we put on the BBB, and have tried multiple re-uploads for the current firmware.

I have seen this a few times and it was caused my mis-wiring of the IMU/Depth sensor module.

See my email to you in regards to your support ticket for more details.

Update: After following Brian’s advice and removing the connection to the IMU, we are indeed able to control everything else on the ROV. That was the issue! I can’t believe it was really just a short in or miswiring of the IMU. I do not believe that anything was miswired, though, so I suppose we’ll have to check for that internal short. Any tips on doing so or what to look for?

Thanks a ton, everyone!

For future reference this is what the cockpit screen looked like in this situation.

could you post the email with the fix here so tthat other people that suspect that they have this issue also anfix their rov?

Hello,

The screenshot with the errors when they are all marked as 1’s and the errors to initialize the mpu sensor is something that I have seen before. I have seen it a few times and it meant there was a short in the IMU wires due to mis-wiring. When the IMU is not enabled and all the telemetry is coming in correctly leads me to believe this is where the problem is. I would recommend removing the IMU completely (cutting off the wires but leave enough to resolver it back on. Then check the system and see if you have control over everything. Assuming you do inspect the IMU for no internal short and then make sure that the wires are soldered correctly to the wires that go to the DB-25 connector.

Please let me know if you need more explanation on this part.

-Brian Grau

Message Responce

Hi,

Thank you so much for that help! After removing the connection to the IMU, we are indeed able to control everything else on the ROV. That was the issue! I can’t believe it was really just a short in or miswiring of the IMU. I do not believe that anything was miswired, though, so I suppose we’ll have to check for that internal short. Any tips on doing so or what to look for?

Thank you again!

Possible Causes

Hello,

I am glad that we were able to isolate the problem. There are three possible reasons that I can think of:

1. The 4 wires (pwr, gnd, SDA, SCL) were not connected to the matching ones.
  2. There is a solder bridge where you soldered the wires to the board.
  3. There is a defect in the board.

I would look closely at the solder connections to ensure that there are no solder bridges. It will be a little hard to tell because it is already in the epoxy.

Let me know how that looks and we can move forward from there.

-Brian Grau