Building a scientific UROV

Hey all,

I am building a really exiting new project with my team. We’re planning to develop a UROV with visual recognition for all animals in the Great Barrier Reef. It will have autonomous tracking, it will be tethered directly to a buoy which will have a radio transmitter back to the controller. It will go 530 feet deep and have two articulated claw arms and a sample cage.

It will be able to collect samples of the water for analysis, calculate the number of certain fish in certain areas, identify invasive species.

This is just the beginning. It’s an ambitious project and well need all the help we can get.

Hope you guys are interested!!

3 Likes

@aidenjmccomiskey That sounds great. I have some software I use when out in the forests to identify plants and animals in real time through live video/images of them. It would be great to start using that software for the ROV.

You’ve inspired me into seeing if the software I currently use can be adapted to work with the ROV.

Thanks,
~Michael

If that works, please let me know, I would be really exited.

I’m glad we were able to inspire you!

1 Like

@aidenjmccomiskey

This coming weekend I’ll see if I can access the ROV camera from the software. If I can, I’ll take the ROV outside and test the software on out plants in my yard that I already know it has identified. If that works, I’ll plan a trip to the bay and see how successful it is to identify plants and animals in the ocean. :smile:

Thanks,
~Michael

G’day aidenjmcomisky,

I am curious to know more about your project and how you think we might be able to help. If your project is for something more than personal interest then you should look at some of the work being done at QUT.