Build log for OpenROV #054 - Cutting the acrylic and get node running


#1

Hi fellow Open ROV builder,

I put my first OpenROV build log post online:

http://www.code-with-passion.com/2012/07/27/building-an-openrov/

One word of advice from the post: If you open the DXF files in Adobe Illustrator for laser cutting:

Make sure the round parts are actually round! For me they weren't, had to use the PDF!

Cheers,

Dominik


#2

Nice post... opening my build blog soon too.

Tomorrow I'll get all the parts, and will start trying to assemble the board.


#3

I noticed this too when I was redrawing the parts in FreeCAD. I used the dxf files as reference. None of the round parts were truly round and the circles - like bolt holes- weren't circles, they were splines.

Even some of the straight segments were actually multi-node splines. I'm not sure what this does, if anything, to the cut time / accuracy.

After I cut mine and verify that dimensions are accurate, I'll look into posting dxf files for each part that are made exclusively of segments, arcs, and circles.


#4

Maybe it's the conversion to dxf... the original Inventors files are correctly round


#5

I think that's it exactly. I can convert a face of a .stp file to dxf with HeeksCAD and it becomes exclusively arcs and segements but circles are multiple arcs. Conversion is a pain.