BeagleBone does not appear on my router's "DHCP client table"

Hi Colin,

I was successful in reformatting the SD card and loading the BeagleBone software. I am now able to

get to the OpenROV control panel and can see the video from the camera.

Now I can not load the cape's firmware. I am not sure where to get the cape's firmware. I found ROV-0.2.tar.gz www.filewatcher.com/m/ROV-0.2.tar.gz.10847-0.html

but it will not load using the OpenROV control panel. It keeps giving a sync error. I not have the items to do a manual upload.

Frank

Hello Frank

The Cape that came with your kit should already be updated to the most recent software; have you tested to see if you can control the lights + ESCs for the thrusters? If you recieved your kit with the second batch of ROVs (v2.4) then you shouldn't have to update the Cape.

But for future reference, to update the Cape's firmware follow the directions here: http://wiki.openrov.com/index.php/Update_Software#Updating_the_OpenROV_Cape

To download the BeagleBone and the Cape's software, you can get it from our github (to download click on the little cloud icon that has "ZIP" written on it). The cape software is under the folder named "Arduino". This will always have our most up to date software! Hope this helps, and keep me updated if you have any more questions!

-Colin

Hi Colin,

I cannot get anything connected the the cape to work. The lights and the servo will not work. I do not have the ESC's connected. The cape came with the ROV kit V2.4. Some LEDs do light on the cape. The one at the 3V3 location and one at LED3.

A clue may be that when I first powered up the BeagleBone with the cape my 12Vin power wire had short in it and it over heated the battery wire for about 3" from the battery after that I had to reload the software in the SD card. BeagleBone know appears to work correctly but the cape does not work. I have tried to used you instruction to upload the cape software but I don't know what file the firmware is looking for under the settings in the Cockpit. It wants .tar.gz or .ino file and the file it shown as an example in the instructions is ROV.tar.gz. I cannot find this file.

Frank

You can put the file in a temp folder on your Windows System.

to get this file go to: https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software

clck on ZIP and save this file to your temp folder

openrov-software-arduino.zip

The arduino files are part of this zip package.

then make the following changes:

These changes are need to upload to the Arduino from the cockpit.

One item to try on the software that *might* increase the odds of success:

try changing the :
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/board.txt
change the atmega328.upload.speed=57600 to 115200

Also, you can get more detail by editing "
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ino/commands/upload.py"
and changing the end of the file by adding the -vvv option as:

subprocess.call([
self.e['avrdude'],
'-C', self.e['avrdude.conf'],
'-p', board['build']['mcu'],
'-P', port,
'-c', protocol,
'-b', board['upload']['speed'],
'-D',
'-vvv',
'-U', 'flash:w:%s:i' % self.e['hex_path'],
])

Now go into the cockpit and point to the file in the temp folder to upload the FW.

Hi David,

I don't know how to make the changes that you suggest. I have gone to

https://github.com/OpenROV/openrov-software

and downloaded the zip package "openrov-software-master" then I unziped it and

don't know where to go and what to do.

I can't find, don't know what to do with and where to do it:

/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/board.txt
change the atmega328.upload.speed=57600 to 115200

The only programing I have ever done was some Z80 assembly language 30 years age.

Thanks for your help,Frank

the changes are made on the Beagle Bone using the vi editor

eg>

cd /usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino

vi board.txt

change the text using the R (replace) option in vi

atmega328.upload.speed=57600 to 115200

save and exit vi by doing Shift : wq!

HI David,

When I do what you say It reads that the atmega328.upload.speed=57600.

I'm not sure how to use the editor R command.

Frank

Hello Frank,

You don't need to download the .tar.gz file to update the cape; Ignore the "choose file" button, just click on "upload" and then "apply new firmware". This current programming method is sometimes hit or miss; try a couple times until it works, or you can try doing the manual upload. The Arduino .ino is under /openrov-software/arduino/OpenROV, where /openrov-software/ is the main folder from the downloaded zip file that you got from git. The instructions for a manual update is here - http://wiki.openrov.com/index.php/Update_Software#Updating_the_Cape_manually

Hope this helps!

-Colin

To use the R

just move the cursor over to the beginning of the 5 in 57600

do a Shift R

type 115200 over what is there 57600

do a shift : wq!

that does a save and exit from vi then do a more cmd

more board.txt

to look at what you just did

when I did this change I was then able to upload the code with no issue using the cockpit.

As Frank has mentioned there are a few different ways of doing this and there has been lots of issues and discussion on it.

When I try open "board.txt" it shows blank rows starting with ~.

When I try to open "boards.txt" I get the code and I can use the R cmd to change the text. But when I go to quit it gives an error code

saying "can't open file to write hit enter or type a command"

so the file doesn't get written.

Frank

Hi Colin,

I have bought an Arduino UNO board and have reprogrammed amega328 chip and the cape still does not work. Are there voltages I can check on the cape and or signals I could look at with an oscope to see if the cape is bad. I not ready to spent $65 yet with no more proof that the cape is bad. The 2 amega328 chips that I now have appear to program and work in the Arduino UNO board.

Frank

Hi Colin,

A recap of my problems.

I received my OpenROV kit serial # 315 a couple of weeks ago. I have looked all over the forums
and have posted on the forum under (BeagleBone does not appear on my router's "DHCP client table")
my first problem. I did get help but I am struck now.

I am using the Homeplug Adapters running on 960 feet of RG 174/U coax cable. I get 30 mbps with this connection.
I have also run from my desktop thru a router to the OpenROV over 5 ft of ethernet cable. I get a good connection
to the cockpit either way.

I am powering through the cape's Vin port with a 12V 5ah gel cel battery.

I cannot get anything connected the the cape to work. The LED lights and the servo will not work. I do not have the

ESC's connected. The cape came with the ROV kit V2.4. Some LEDs do light on the cape. The one at the LED1

location comes on when 3.3V power comes up and one at LED3 comes on once I get a picture from the camera (it

also blinks a couple of times every once in a while).

A clue may be that when I first powered up the BeagleBone with the cape my 12Vin power wire had short in it and it

over heated the battery wires for about 3" from the 12V 5ah gel cel battery after that I had to reload the software in

the SD card to get my router to assign IP address. The BeagleBone now appears to work correctly (I get to the

cockpit showing the battery voltage, the green light and I get a picture from the camera but the cape does not work.

I have tried to upload the cape software using the "settings" in the cockpit, but I had no luck (the won't sync problem).

I have bought an Arduino UNO board and have reprogrammed amega328 chip but the cape still does not work. The

two amega328 chips that I now have appear to program and work in the Arduino UNO board using thier examples

"blink' and "dim". I have loaded OpenROV firmware using the Arduino UNO
board and it appears to load with no errors, but the cape still does not work.

In the mean time I finished wiring and have programed the motors. I can't calebrate them because the cape won't

work. I have now connected the ESCs with motors attached and the servo. When I first apply power if the servo is

not in the center position it will move and then you can try to turn it and it will resist moving. After the BB boots up the
servo will go to center position and may chatter a little bit. The 3 motors will start and run at what I think is about
1/3 speed. They all run the same direction. The picture is displayed on the cockpit. If I turn off two of the ESC's
all 3 motors still run. If I unplug the 3 motors I have to leave 1 ESC's plugged into the cape in order for the servo
to be powered or put a jumper accross P13 servo pwr and unplug all ESC's

I have a 100mhz dual ch. storage Oscilloscope so I printed out the cape's wiring diagrams see if I could look at

some signals. After BB boots up I see data on pin 26 (UART1_RDX) P2 on the cape. The camera tilt servo then

move a little.

After I log on to the cockpit with my laptop and an image on the cockpit appears I see data on pin
24 (UART1_TDX) P2 on the cape. The camera tilt servo then appears to center. If I leave the OpenROV powered

for about 4min. & 45sec. the picture freezes and the data on pin 24 goes away (I have seen referance to this on the

builder's forum "workaround for 5 minute timeouts").

U1 the level translater appears to be working properly. The wiring diagram appear to switch the txd and rxd signals

on the B side of U1. Looking with the Oscope the signals do not switch. ThIs appeards to be a mistake on the

drawing.

If I look at the data on pin 24 (UART1_TDX) P2 on the cape and the data on pin 26 (UART1_RDX) P2 on the cape
the shortest pulse width appears to be 8 usec for both. I'm guessing that this means they are running that the same

baud rate.

If I press q, a, z or any of the direction arrows I see data change on pin 24 (UART1_TDX) P2 on the cape. But if I

press - or + I see no data change on pin 24 (UART1_TDX) P2 on the cape. Why do I see data change for all but the

-&+ keys?

After the BB and the cape's are up and I have a picture from the camera displayed on the cockpit I look at the 4

servo control signals with the Oscope and all 4 have a 1.5 ms +4.8 wide pulse on them. If I press anyone of the q, a

or z keys control pulse for the camera tilt servo will slowly go from 1.5 ms to .5 ms wide and stay there andd pressing

any of the keys will not change it. If I press any of the direction arrows nothing happens to any of the control pulses.

I have uploaded software to the SD card twice and to the 2 different amega328 chips several times. Also I have

used a laptop and a desktop to connect to the OpenROV with the same results.

Could the BB and/or the cape be bad? Is ther a way I can test them more? What is the eeprom U5 on the cape

used for and how is it programed?

This is were I'm at for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Marks

Hi Frank,

I think it is nether the beagleboard or the cape. I have got similar problems: The ESC turn in one direction, connection to the board is freezing, the servo does not move as expected.

Maybe there will be an update soon. Does anyone else have some of these problems?

Hey Frank and Reimar,

There is a lot of data go to through here, but to start, have you both done the programming and calibration procedures for the ESCs?

Eric

Hi Eric,

I have programed the ESCs but have not calibrated them. The cape won't let me. If I go to calibrate in the cockpit I can move the sliders and see data change on pin 24 of the cape's P2 but there is not change in the pulse width of the ESC's control signal.

Frank

Hi Eric,

maybe something is wrong with my programming. I will repeat this procedure and try again.

Hi Eric,

I have just calibrated all 3 ESCs using my RC transmitter and receiver to send control signals

to ESCs. I set the motor speed control to center position on the transmitter for the first set point.

Then I set it to the full position for the second set point, then to off position for the third set point.

I can now control all the motors for full reverse to stop to full forward with all 3 ESCs with the

RC transmitter and receiver.

I'm not sure what to do now. I guess I could put everything back together and try it but I sure

nothing on the cape will work. The motors might run at a slower speed.

The control pulse width goes from 1.08ms off to 1.425ms center to 1.885ms full.

Frank

what browser are you using? it seems that chrome is the most stable one. i've had some problems with firefox, and some intermittent on chrome. but chrome is by far the most stable browser to use.

Oh- yeah! Thomas makes an excellent point. Use Chrome if you can. Also.. the new software uses the "o" and "p" keys to change light level (not + and -).

Hi Eric,

I just switched from FoxFire to Chrome and now the lights work but the motors and tilt servo do not.The lights work with - or + (not o or p) which says I must have old software? Would that be SD or cape software? I thought I had the latest software.

The 4 servos all have 1.5ms control pulse width on the control lines. All the motors don't run now that I calibrated them with my RC transmitter and receiver. 1.425ms was the stop pulse width.

The tilt servo goes to center but if I press q,a or z the control pulse width will slowly go down to .48ms causing the servo to move to the down stop.

At least we seem to be making some headway.

Frank