Auxiliary propulsion booster idea

One thing that I'm curious about is the amount of thrust the rov propellers can generate, in particular dealing with shoreline ocean currents and surge, ie snorkeling depths.

I know it's unrealistic to think that this small rov can compete with heavy currents so my crazy thought is to somehow attach high power "booster" thrusters onto the rov. Each booster copies the actions of one thruster on the rov. The smaller rov acts as the brains to a drive a larger, dumb, more powerful propulsion system.

The concepts are:

1. There is a one to one mapping for each rov thruster to each booster thruster
  2. Boosters are only engaged when its mapped thruster is at full power
  3. Boosters are binary, ON/OFF. No electronic speed controller because they only engage when full power was requested anyway.
  4. Boosters run on their own supplied battery power. Can be any voltage desired.
  5. Keep it simple (no fancy computer chips)
  6. Keep it disconnected from main rov's electronics and power systems

Each individual booster acts as a slave to a thruster on the main rov. When maximum power is observed being output by a rov thruster, then the corresponding booster thruster engages and assists in positioning.

The hard part...On each rov thruster there are 2 small unobtrusive "flow rate" arms, 1 arm per side of thruster. These small switches are a pivoting arm with a magnet at the end of the arm to trigger hall effect sensors. The more thrust being output by the thruster on the rov, then the more the arm pivots. Once the output flow of the thruster gets to a certain point it will cause the flow rate arm to pivot to a point of triggering a hall effect switch. The hall effect switches can either be used to switch on relays or to drive a power transistor to turn on the booster thrusters.

Anyway, that's my crazy thought about how to use the analog flow output of the rov's thrusters as inputs to engage additional booster thrusters.

-Marcus

Interesting! Can you sketch up an image of how you envision the auxiliary motors being mounted?

Also, keep in mind they need to be neutrally buoyant.

Thanks!