Last week i meet @Roy_Petter_Dyrdahl_T in a maker space in Madrid, Spain. That was the first time i know about OpenROV project, a great one!
After examine the robot structure, the board and all the staff i think in a alternative way to connect the robot with the control laptop in the surface, i find so fragile the actual cable and needlessly complex the PLC conversion system.
My proposal is use a FTP CAT5e outdoor cable with a messenger wire. The steel messenger wire can be locked to the robot with a carabiner and the FTP wire can have a RJ45 IP68 waterproof connector. With this solution, the battery’s can be removed from the robot using POE standard for supply trough the FTP cable. I just thinking about this idea for the last days and i have this pros and cons.
- Better wire quality, in fault case, we can tow away the robot with out problems
- Batteries can be removed from the robot, and we can use other kind of battery’s or a external supply
- If use the RJ45 connector, the robot and the cable are different thins an that is better for maintenance and transportation.
- Alternative thing to replace the weight of the batteries is needed in the robot if this is necessary
- The RJ45 connector can give some problems, also the cable can be connected directly to the control unit
- The actual control unit need some changes, the new cable must go in first step to a supply stage and then to the BeagleBoneBoard, the fast and cheap solution is use a POE splitter
A sample of FTP CAT5e outdoor cable with messenger wire
A sample of RJ45 IP68 connector
More information about POE
Let me know about you opinion of this idea