Adventure Ideas

I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but we have a small section of the forum dedicated to adventures - a place to collect research and exploration ideas. We added this section almost as soon as we started the website, a year ago when a fully-functional ROV was just a glimmer in our eyes. For us, it's important to keep in mind why we want to build it and all the fun we're going to have once everyone has one.

There are some pretty great ideas in there. Here are a few that sound particularly cool...

Quintana Roo, Mexico

Photo via National Geographic

Fabio Estaban writes:

Hi, I'm interested in your OpenROV project, it seems to be a "great" platform for mounting cameras, lights, and video. I have been trying to develop methodologies for making photomosaicks of archaeological sites and cave entrances in Quintana Roo, Mexico. What I would like to do is to document cavern entrances by creating mosaics.

Here are some links to Fabio's work:

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/15/diving-the-cavern-zone-part-1/
http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/03/27/diving-the-cavern-zone-part-2/
Rabaul in Papua New Guinea
Andrew David Thaler writes:

On the island of Rabaul in Papua New Guinea, near the Tavurvur and Vulcan volcanoes, in approximately 10 meters of water, lie some of the shallowest hydrothermal vents in the world. What makes these vents special, compared to other shallow water vents, is that they're not only geologically related, but physically close to deep-sea vents in the Bismark Sea, which means there is the potential for shared biodiversity between shallow and deep vents. Of course, the the heat coming out of these vents means that divers won't be going anywhere near them, and the proximity to shoreline keeps the big vessels needed to handle large research ROV's at a distance.

Sounds like the perfect place to put the OpenROV through her extremeophile science trials.

Keep the great ideas coming!

How about San Francisco? You could invite some of the more interested divers out to test the ROV's?

Bonne Terre Mine?