About the General Discussion category

This is the place for everything ROV, OpenROV, or shared exploration related that doesn’t fit into the rest of the categories.

I am looking for a great project to do with my 7 year old Grandson and thought this would be it - but this doesn’t sound like a good project for a Grandfather with zero knowledge of computers, circuits, programming, etc.? From reading through your forum, it sounds like we should stick to erector sets and Legos? Any other intro level, pre-built systems out there with HD cameras ready to have fun with out of the box that doesn’t cost $4,000.00? Thanks.

Hi Craig
In my opinion this would be a fantastic project. The build is a little tricky here and there but the only real electronic skill you need is soldering, and that is easy to pick up.

Although I am fairly knowledgeable, I have to say, if I put myself in the position of someone beginning, the instructions are very well written, and if you don’t understand, there is always someone on the forum who will explain in simple terms.

I had a rant a while ago about all the low level programming stuff but then I realised that geeks will be geeks and for some reason they enjoy using the very low level computer stuff!

You can do it one of two ways, either follow the instructions step by step and you will have a wonderful, working underwater robot at the end of it, or get down and dirty and invent new gadgets and software, but you really don’t have to do that.

I can’t explain the breathtaking feeling of suddenly seeing the bottom of the seabed, even a few metres down and when you see your first fish swim by, wow!

I think you should go for it. Your Grandson will soon teach you the computer stuff!

Andrew

Thank you Andy – you’ve restored my excitement for trying this. All of the talk of light failures, weight distribution problems, board failures, substituting thrusters for super thrusters, etc., had me looking for another direction – $1,000.00 is a lot of money to fail with! As I said, I’m not looking to study thermal fissures – I just want to poke around the vast amount of waters we have here in the Seattle area, and I know the retention level of a 7 year old is about 10 – 20 minutes at a time. Thanks again!

Craig J Kelly

Hey Craig,
Please ask for my help at any stage. I too, have been a little lost in amongst all the finer details but the great thing is that you and your Grandson can try out crazy ideas and really begin to understand science. I found that mine was a little nose down so I tied a bit of wood on the front. I’m working on a leak sensor which is a clothes peg, held apart by a soluble aspirin. I guarantee that your Grandson’s attention span will be stretched.
The disappointment for me is that my boat has to come out of the water soon to be stored over winter as we have storm force winds and torrential rain here in Scotland. I’ll be dropping the ROV off the end of the pier until next spring.
Excitement doesn’t even begin to describe the feeling. Here’s a taster of our first wreck dive. Heart in mouth stuff when we didn’t know if we’d dropped right into the ship’s hold, whether the wire was going to get snagged at any point.
Hope you go for it. Good luck.
Andrew

Great stuff Andy! I’ll take you up on your offer and jump in :slight_smile: and let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!……….ck

Craig J Kelly