3d printed electronics tube caps with PLA

After looking at the E tube I thought I would give redesigning it a try. this is what I have come up with so far.

I originally bought these rubber pipe sealer things for the end caps that came with rov. The problem with it was the cuts on The end caps to help line things up when building woulnt not create water tight seal. So I made stl of end cap and printed it. The print did fail do to to much infill so the cap isn’t as thick as I would want but does wok for demonstrating purposes. The plan is to place PLA printed cap Inside of rubber clamp and hose clap it in place. Then put E tube in and house clamp that down.
This has not been tested yet so all this could fail miserably but it’s worth a shot.
727-image.jpg (1.24 MB)

Keep us posted!

Can you post a link to the .stl files on thingiverse?

Hi friends:

We haven't already started our building, as our specification is going beyond 250m depth, everything regarding water leakages is a key matter for us.

I've posted a few times how I see this issue.

Just check this attached picture:

Figure A: Ring gaskets under hydrostatic pressure: Pressure tangentially works against gaskets. All watertightness is granted by only the pressure exerted by the external tube on the rings.

Figure B:

The E_tube is only supported at both ends. Hence the central section shrinks more and more with depth.

While this section shrinks, the ends, supported by the caps internal edges, react and expand (Total moment from cap to cap edges, a lor bigger than moments to the ends).

At the same time, both caps are distorted as well.

At this figure (very exagerated, of course), it can be seen that the deeper, the less effective the rubber rings work.

Figure C:

Here, gaskets work is "normal" to surfaces and forces, instead of tangential.

The internal ring, working as a coaming, reinforces the ends, limiting distortions.

Hydrostatic pressure, makes watertight joints work better with depth.

One or two O rings would prevent leakages for Low pressure(depth) working conditions.

This kind of cover must be designed in order to grant a minimum mechanical pressure between the cap and the coaming. Most times its achieved by a simple 3 blades bayonet coupling.

Regards