3D Mapping and opportunities?

Are there any videos/resources showing Trident in action plotting 3D images of the sea bed?

I would like to learn more about this sort of stuff and would love to consider purchasing the Trident when it becomes available.

Also, are there many career oppotunities that could be developed or are these mainly taken by the larger Work rovers? I was looking at 3D works and inspections.

Any help appreciated as I am still a bit wet behind the ears :wink:

Trident is still very much in the research and development stage and I don’t think the OpenROV team has had a chance to get any 3D imagery yet.

@Scott_W and @Michael_Girard and I worked on a resource for general use:

I’m sure there’s plenty of work opportunities out there, you would most likely be looking for jobs to supplement manned diver operations. The large Work Class ROV’s are doing the heavy deep work, but they are very expensive to operate.

My suggestions are to build up your portfolio of work you have done with ROVs and then do a cost analysis to show how your work is more affordable than a team of divers.

photogrammetric 3d reconstruction is getting to be fairly common with UAVs. I recall seeing some info on it used for underwater work.

I got one of the Intel RealSense dev kits with intent to use it on an underwater tablet but was unable to a) get device to operate, b) find a decent tablet with required USB3.0 on the tablet itself (vs on a docking station). Talking with the engineers at Intel, there were some re-calibrations that would be needed to account for refractions of the images passing thru lenses, waterproofing and water as opposed to air for most applications. Given the device has been out now for a good bit longer, I’d be interested to go back to it again. Not sure there would be space in the Trident for a compatible device but perhaps one of the small windoze cards would work.

Though my Open Explorer page has been quiet, I’ve been doing a lot of photogrammetry in the water with my OpenROV and out of the water over the past year and a half. This summer I will be working with a local marine archeologist to document some wrecks in the Narragansett bay. I see the possibility of career opportunities opening up for the clever entrepreneur, but I’m not sure how profitable it would be. I think that only someone does it because they love the work, would be able to make it into something worth while. Once a few pioneers have paved the way, then the job market for this would grow.

When I receive my Trident this fall, the first thing I’ll be doing is getting it setup to continue doing photogrammetry. Hopefully my day job will not be consuming my free time as much, and I’ll be able to begin posting more frequently again, and document my results with the Trident on Open Explorer. If you have any question feel free to reach out to me.

~Michael

Thanks for the replies.
I have been involved with the drone industry for a while and have seen the explosion of training companies, aerial photography and film companies as well as every Tom Dick and Harry claiming to have the best frame on the market. So much so that the streets are no longer paved with gold as they once were.

If the hobbiest (like myself) was to make a go of things, I would think it may be aimed at local authority visual canal inspections and perhaps SAR rather than sea surveys and Rig inspections. I am just in it for the amazing world that lies beneath, but who knows where technology will take us next? Space? I doubt it but how cool would that be :wink: