I am going through the online guide for the V2.6 build and there are a couple of missing bits of information (as far as I can tell) that leads me to the following questions. Please excuse any obvious queries -- I just want to be clear on the build steps.
- To what do the red/black wires from the LED lights connect? There is no mention of this in the build instructions (2.5 and 2.6). Based on the soundless video, I believe the connection is to J1 of the controller board but the image is dark. If this is correct, are the wires just jammed into the holes or is there a better means of securing the wires to the board?
- When/where are the laser guides attached? No mention is made of these items in the V2.6 guide.
- Is there a preferred orientation for the main acrylic tube? Is the flat end supposed to go down?
- Should the camera housing be aligned in an up/down plane or tilted downward?
- How is the wiring for the DB25 connector best bent/coiled so that the assembly fits in the tube? W
- What are the current ESC calibration instructions? It seems that this should be done before the final assembly. Should the motors work w/o the initial setup/calibration? (mine didnt)
- What is the URL for the OpenROV (I assume its http://192.168.254.1). I saw a port mentioned (8080) but that doesn't appear to be necessary.
- What's the point of the plungers inside the cut syringe tubes? When are the plungers themselves cut? Why have them at all?
- What does one do if the positive end of the battery tube does not make contact with the batteries? I added some layers of solder to extend the contact plate but this seems kludgy. Does anyone else have this issue?
- What holds the propellor motor housing onto the shafts? I can see how in the forward direction the force would push the propellors onto the shaft but what happens in reverse?
- Are the extra (6) wires just left exposed?
- Does the USB cord to the camera have to be so long? Could it be cut/shortened to make that end of the housing cleaner/easier fitting? Has anyone done this?
- Could someone add some "finished" photos of the boards/wires as well as closeups of completed builds so that we can assure that everything is where it needs to be?
- Once assembled, where does the IMU attach to the ROV?